005 - new home

FRIDAY, MAY TWENTY-SECOND, 1965

Caterina walked home with her brother after school that day. Johnny, Ponyboy, and Two-Bit had tagged along too.

They all lived on the same street, so there wasn't a long distance between their houses. That also meant they had begun to walk home together more often. Now, they were good friends, joking and laughing all of the time.

As the boys conversed, Caterina stared at her shoes. Earlier in the day, she saw some girls in the bathroom touching up their makeup. They gave her a weird look and laughed on their way out. She didn't really care about that because later on, she had met a sweet girl in her english class.

"How'd you guys to on the math test today?" Ponyboy asked.

"Man, you are such a nerd," Calogero laughed. Ponyboy scoffed.

"I think I failed, though," Calogero said.

"Yeah, me too," Johnny said, " What about you Rina?"

"I almost aced it," she shrugged. She didn't want to brag, but she was smart.

"Golly, I thought you said you weren't that smart."

"Not as smart as Ponyboy, but I think i'm pretty good," she said, smiling. "Hey, I could help you with the next test. Like a tutor or something."

"Well, I don't know.. I wouldn't wanna be a bother." Johnny said. He didn't want to seem helpless or stupid, although Caterina didn't seem like the type of girl to think that.

"Come on, I don't mind. Besides, it could be fun!" She said, smiling.

Johnny looked at her before smiling too. She had that trait; she could make anyone smile, even if they were having the worst day.

"Oh, alright," he caved in. "But if it I fail the next test again i'm firing you."

She and the other boys laughed. By then, Caterina and Calogero had gotten to their house, so they said goodbye to Johnny and Ponyboy and Two.

As soon as Caterina had stepped inside, she took her shoes off and dropped her books on the coffee table. She felt extremely tired for some reason. She wanted to lay down, but as usual, C had to intervene.

"Rina, can you make me something to eat? Mom's not here." Calogero yelled from the kitchen.

"Make it yourself, you bum!" She yelled back. She hated how she always had to do everything for her brother when he was capable of doing things himself.

"Come on, please?"

"No!"

"I'll do the dishes.."

One thing that Caterina and Calogero had in common was that they were very persistent. (Although, they said they had nothing in common.)

Rina groaned, and got up from the couch to make her brother something. Lazy bum, she thought.

After that, she plopped back onto the couch and turned on the television. As she flipped the channels, one caught her eye. Of course, it was the news station.

"Juvenile Delinquents Set Towns Gasoline Station on Fire - Listen in To Find Out More."

Caterina mentally rolled her eyes. In New York, things like that happened all of the time. No one really cared. But New York wasn't her home anymore, so she would learn to get over it.

She thought about her new home. How it was so different, yet so similar at the same time. She just hoped she would make as many great memories in Tulsa as she did in the Bronx.

GABI SPEAKS!
okayy so ik this took so long to come out don't hate me.. also ik it's really short 😭
i literally did not know what to write about and i honestly hate this chapter but i'll have another one coming out tomorrow so forgive me!!