001 - dear bronx

MONDAY, MAY ELEVENTH, 1965

Dear Bronx, Love Caterina.

That was all Caterina had written on her letter she was supposed to be sending to her family. She had moved to Tulsa, Oklahoma, nearly five weeks ago, and still hadn't written them. She didn't know what to say.

She moved with her mom and brother after they found out her dad was cheating. Caterina figured her mom knew long before they moved and just didn't care, but she didn't mention it.

Caterina didn't know how different Tulsa was from Bronx, her previous home, but she didn't really care. The Bronx wasn't a great place to grow up, so she was almost happy to move. She knew she would miss it, though.

Her sixteen year old brother, Calogero, got caught up with a gang and had a lot going on, so she was happy that he got to start over. He didn't seem very happy to move, though.

She had started school a week after she moved to Tulsa. She had made a couple of friends who seemed nice, but there was an obvious rival between the people at her school. She didn't understand why. The rivals back in her old home were usually over their skin color.

"Hey Caterina, where's my hat?" Her brother, Calogero, yelled from his room.

Caterina looked up from her letter that sat on her desk and squinted her eyes. "What hat?"

"What the fuck do you mean what hat? You know what hat i'm talkin' about." He said, walking up to her door.

"You seriously brought that stupid hat? I thought you left it at home."

"Yeah, well, I didn't. So get up and help me find it."

"I'm not helping you find that ugly hat, Calogero. Go find it yourself!"

Calogero seemed to have forgotten about the hat and focused on something else. "C'mon Rina, why can't you call me C? Everybody calls me C."

Caterina frowned. "Calogero, we're not in the Bronx anymore, nobody is gonna call you C. Besides, I'm your sister, I can call you whatever I want."

Calogero scoffed and walked away.

"Close the damn door!"

Caterina rolled her eyes as she got up and closed the door. When she sat back down at her desk, she crumpled up the paper and threw it on the floor. She would write the letter later.

She decided she would go to bed. She hadn't eaten dinner yet, but she was too tired to care.