6

Back to the past

10:45 PM April 5

I looked up at the distant street and spotted Kim Junho. The sight of my best friend made me smile. In the distance, a gang of people wearing formal clothing stood in a corner smoking and messing with each other. I knew something would happen to him. In a rush, I approached him. My heart started to beat faster as the men spotted him. Junho slightly bowed to them and tried to walk past them but they blocked his way. One of them bent down and looked at his name tag. I stopped in my tracks.

"Kim Junho..." he scoffed holding a cigarette in his hand. "What are you doing here late at night?"

Junho gently shoved his hand off his uniform and smiled at him. "Nothing... have a nice night." He mumbled and tried to walk past him.

Still, he stopped him and signaled to the other strange men. Confused Junho looked around at the men circling him. Suddenly one of them grabbed him and pulled him into the dark alleyway. My eyes widened watching him struggle to get away from them. Junho tried to shout for help, but he was quickly silenced by one of the men who held a hand over his mouth. He was terrified, and his eyes pleaded with me to help him. I could do nothing. Soon they began to beat him and pinned him on the wall by his neck. Junho hit their hands and tried to loosen their grip. Making up my mind I quickly rushed up to him hoping I would be able to stop them from hurting him any further. The man let go of Junho's neck and let him fall to the ground.

"JUNHO!" I couldn't help but shriek watching him lay still on the ground. One of the members turned over to me and threw their cigarette to the ground and rolled his sleeves up. He slowly walked up to me filled with fury. I tried to pass him but he was stronger than me. I continued to fight in his arms unable to help Junho who was being kicked by the rest of the men. I looked up at him recognizing his face but unable to recall where I'd seen him before. CRACK! I looked back at Junho and saw a brick lying next to him as blood gushed out of his head.

Junho is dead.

I fell to the ground my stomach twisting from the disgusting sight ahead of me. One of them squatted by him and checked his pulse.

"He's dead..." the man mumbled.

My heart stopped. Junho was the only person I had and now he's dead. The man next to me slowly crept up to him.

"What should we do now?" he asked.

The man got up and brushed his pants and sighed. "Like we always do, Jiwoong..." he placed his hands on Minu. "Sell his organs."

Shaking I slowly got off the ground as he walked closer to me. I quickly got up and sprinted my way out of the alley. Knowing they'd start searching for me, I ran as fast as I could, my heart pounding in my chest. I looked back noticing they weren't following me. I placed my hands on my knees and caught my breath.

There's no way I can stay safe anymore