Chapter 1: Family Drama

OVERVIEW

Oulexius Castle. For the first time in over forty years, the entirety of the Maverick family has gathered at the dining room table. The tangible scent of glazed pork, sweet drinks, earthy vegetables, and more fills the air as they sit down together to eat as a family. 

Following the events of the night before, no one was really surprised by the bruise left on Rhyland's face, the bluish-purple like a splash of paint on tanned skin. The remaining three brothers, Tobias, Ezekiel and Mael have arrived. Needless to say, tension is rife on this particular night for the four brothers, the king and queen, and for those who are on their way to meet these four kings. 

Tonight, all six family members will be together, and no one knows if it'll end well. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Present

The castle was full of chatter, however this time, instead of hushed tones, it has become excitement. The only people who could match Rhyland were finally arriving: King Tobias, ruler of North Asherah, known for his righteous rule and his courtesy. It doesn't matter where you have heard his name, but there was never a complaint in regards to this young king. Blessed with a good heart and good looks, all it takes is one glance for a heart to melt. 

King Ezekiel, ruler of East Asherah, known for his intellect. Despite being a sickly child, it is well known that it is a miracle he managed to even survive as long as he did quite honestly. Closest to his older brother, he and Tobias make a formidable team. This being said, he does tend to baby the third child, who I'll get to in a moment. He is looked up to by any and every scholar in the country. 

King Mael, ruler of South Asherah, known for his good looks and frivolous nature. Many can tell he's a pretty boy with a sweet mouth, but the circumstances surrounding the way he became like this remains a secret to the public. Very few want to be the queen to this man, for no one could expect him to even commit to a serious relationship. With a man or woman always hanging off his arm, it is no surprise he is seen as the least serious. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Dining Room

As the doors opened to the dining room, the four brothers filed in one after another, as if this was routine for them. Tension hung over them in a deafening silence, the only sounds heard being the scrape of chairs against the floor as they seated themselves down. 

Seated in their normal places, the Maverick family began to eat in silence. Clearing his throat, Tristan gained his family's attention.

"What is your thoughts on these trials?" He finally spoke, earning a moment of silence as each son looked at each other then their father. Even Eleanor put her utensils down, heaving a sigh. She had a feeling she knew where this was going to go, and it certainly wasn't anywhere pretty. She glanced at her youngest, eyes shooting a look ordering to keep quiet, only to be met with a smirk. 

Putting his utensils down, Rhyland cleared his throat, meeting his father's eyes with a spine chilling smile. "Are you asking us about those silly women or the trials themselves?" He began, picking his fork and knife up as he began to continue cutting into his meal. "Do make yourself clear, or I can't give a distinct answer." He hummed, putting a piece of meat in his mouth.