Misfortunate Night (pt. 2)

- (Y/n) P.O.V. -

Throwing all the trash away, I stood up and went back towards the van, satisfied with both encounter and the treat I got. I walked back slowly, enjoying both the lingering taste of the ice cream and the sun starting to burn my eyes and skin.

As I entered the Rustbucket, I was greeted by a sulky Ben in the kitchen seat, excited Gwen serfing the net on the opposite of him and Max, preparing the breakfast. I quickly slid into the seat near Gwen, peeking into what she was doing and saw her web-searching about the amulets Charmcaster's uncle had.

Gwen: "So, how did the ice cream thingy go?" she didn't turn her head from the laptop.

Me: "Quite satisfactory, I would say." I replied nonchalantly. "How did your debut go?"

Ben grunted in the background as Gwen, instead of answering, switched tabs in her browser with a video at the ready. She hit full screen and play with almost lightning speed. As the video played, Gwen was frantically switching from watching it with me and looking if I was still watching it.

On the video, however, Gwen seemed to intentionally cause different chains of reactions to help construction workers: she had jumped on a plank, using it as leverage to throw chunks of wood into the crane cabin, where those chunks managed to let crane let large metal ball fall, throwing a support beam off the car it blocked exit for, freeing one of the workers outside.

The other chunk of wood hit the button for elevator control, completely destroying it and making it go up and destroy parts of the building, forcing Gwen to dodge and get into a cement mixer, making it go in reverse and hit a chute, which leaned and presented it's top orifice to the workers that were hanging outside, few hundred feet in the air.

As all the construction workers were rescued, reporter and cameraman quickly got close to Gwen, starting to conduct an interview on the spot. "How did you pull of this amazing rescue?" the reporter asked and moved the microphone closer to Gwen.

Recorded Gwen: "With style, of course!" she confidently state, smiling at the reporter. She then turned to camera and pointed at it, asking "Who's your hero?" egging the viewers on. The camera shifted to the reporter, who held her microphone straight, looking right into the camera.

Reporter: "An exclusive, on the scene interview with our city's very own..." she stopped, waiting for Gwen to finish. Gwen awkwardly tiptoed into the frame, trying to be high enough so her face appeared in the frame.

Recorded Gwen: "Lucky Girl!" she shot camera a charming childish smile, presenting a piece-sign to all.

I hit the spacebar, stopping the video and turned, smiling, to Gwen, who held her head high in pride and was smiling, waiting for my reaction. As I chuckled, Gwen's confidence faltered a bit and she shot me a confused glance, slightly furrowing her brows. "Shortie." was all I said before Ben, who was merely sulking this whole time, and I broke into a laugh.

As we laughed, I could feel her swat at my shoulder, her pride damaged. "Just so you know! I'm taller than you!"

Me: "By a mere inch." I said through laugh. "Plus, I'm a shapeshifter," I pointed at my watch. "I won't have a problem with not being in frame when I go hero."

Gwen: "I can't believe you're such a jerk!" she turned away from me both offended and sad.

I rolled my eyes, still smiling. "Come on, Gwen." I started, turning her by holding her shoulder to me, but she was still refusing to look at me, pout forming on her lips as she huffed. "You did a good job, don't let one jab ruin it."