As the Moon Rises

As I look up to see the clouds passing by and the night sky painted with the moon and stars, I can't help but miss you. I think of all the days we spent together—our memories full of laughter, banter, and tears. I remember you supporting me through all the hardship, pushing me through all the obstacles, and holding my hand when I felt like giving up. I remember you listening to all my worries and fears. And sometimes, when I look back at all of these, I feel sorry for not being there enough. Have I taken you for granted? I hope that's not the case. However, I do feel guilty for always being on the receiving end of your love, support, and care. For that, I am sorry. I apologize for not loving you enough, for not caring enough, and for not listening enough. Maybe if I became more attentive, I could have saved you.

Today, I walked through the park we used to go to. I saw the flowers you always adored, and the moon was shining brightly at me like you were there for me. Among these good memories I had of you, I still could not help but let the tears flow to my face. Because even though I knew you would never come back, I caught myself missing you so deeply that all I could feel was pain piercing through my heart. And with that pain was the guilt that I was here and you were not. And with that pain was the reality that I would not be able to hold you for such a long time until my end of time.

The trees were swaying like they were dancing. I remembered dancing with the rest of our friends, singing to our hearts' content. Such good times. It's youthful, and we drew strength from each other's comforting words and presence. They miss you too, like I do. They remember you every single day, afraid that one day we might forget you, dreading the reality of time passing by as well as forgetting bits of you. If we forget to think of you one day, please understand. We are imperfect, but you hold so much in our hearts. We will remember you again—smile at the thought of your brightest smiles, laugh at the silly jokes you cracked, cry at the day we lost you completely.

I don't know if I ever said enough thank you. Have I ever been grateful for the great friendship you offered me? Have I ever been expressive to the extent of my love for you? Have I ever said sorry for all our childlike banter and my petty attitude sometimes? If not, I am reaching for the skies today to let you know how much I am grateful, sorry, and how much I love you. May the skies and wind deliver this message to you. You touched my life like the moon and stars in the sky. You reached the deepest part of my heart. And if they fail to give you my message, wait for me a little bit, my friend. I need to continue living here, reminiscing about your goodness, before I finally come to you. And when that time comes, welcome me with your bright smile and open arms. I will share all the memories I had, all the stories I had with our friends and your loved ones, and tell you how much we missed you and how much we loved you. Just wait for me a little bit. I will come to you, and we will share forever together.