Chapter 9: The Howl

Start from the beginning

Somehow, despite Jones's own weariness, my mate lured me out of bed with a cup of my favorite tea. After making sure I was presentable, I meandered down to the conference room. Stepping in, I was reminded that the last time I was here, Dad had been signing papers to assign me as his beta. Now, I would be signing papers to confirm his death.

This time, present in the room were Alpha Anders, Alpha Frazier, Beta Amar, Beta Shem, Advocate Cervantes, Kanaya, Jones, me, and Castor. The latter looked utterly confused as to why he was in the room; no one had told him yet.

Once again, Advocate Cervantes made me recount the story both in writing and verbally. When I was done, I looked over to Castor, whose eyes were red-rimmed. "Do you still defend him now? What more will it take for you to realize that Leyton will destroy everything and everyone you love and still not care about you?"

Castor's hands were clenched as Beta Ty led him from the room.

Advocate Cervantes dispersed death certificates, which I signed with a trembling hand, and an official mating certificate. "You did complete the mating, yes?"

"Yes," answered Jones, sending a wink my way.

That's right—because I'd been called away to Dad's defense, Jones and I had never signed the papers. Usually mates signed their paperwork immediately after their first mating, but our situation had been anything but usual.

Next, she handed out the position change form again; Beta to Luna.

"I stayed up all night drafting the merge of your packs; I haven't attended a summit this...eventful in a while."

"I think you mean uncouth, Advocate Cervantes," Kanaya chimed in.

My hand delayed for the slightest of a second as I signed the merger. The only thing that kept me biting out a smart remark was Jones's golden orbs on me.

The Advocate raised an eyebrow at her apprentice's interjection. "Wolves have always kept me on my toes. Human jobs never held a challenge for me anyway."

"There are a few more things we need to discuss," said Jones, leaning back in his chair and folding an arm around the back of mine. I leant into him, allowing his scent to calm my rising blood pressure.

Jones told Advocate Cervantes of the theory we'd developed of the slaughter and it's motive. Her hand was a jet against the paper. She looked back over her notes, then up at me. "Why was a complaint never made against Leyton when he drugged you all?"

"It was clear from Leyton's actions that he didn't trust a single soul. My father thought it would be best to given Leyton the benefit of the doubt—to reestablish trust. Obviously it didn't work out for long, which is when Dad contacted you, started gathering evidence to build a case against him. Plus, no one sustained injuries from Leyton's drugging us no matter how uncouth—our law states complaints can only be filed when bodily, emotional, or mental harm is caused. And that was the one thing we didn't have evidence for."

"Hmm, you know your law. You'd make a good advocate for wolves."

"I think I've had enough transition for a lifetime, Advocate," I replied, not even having to think about her subtle offer. She and I both knew I was born for my paws to be in dirt, not paperwork.

She nodded. "I'll dig into pack archives and see if I can pull up anything useful around the time of the attack on your pack as well as that week Leyton left. Although I don't have your keen sense of smell, I have a habit of sniffing out traces of things people want to keep hidden. It's nearly impossible to not leave a paper trail these days. Alpha Jones, it would be helpful for you to ask around the other packs for any knowledge of these events or Leyton's current whereabouts, as well. Alphas Frazier and Anders, if you're willing, helping Jones divy up the work would help us find answers much quicker."