"No," Julie replied. I turned on the lights, and one by one they lit up, then rows and rows of files appeared. How many files and cases could they have for suck a small place? No wonder they hadn't digitalized it, who had the time. As I proceeded deeper into the cellar, guided by the glow of the overhead lights, rows of file cabinets came into view. I picked up a piece of paper from my black skinny jeans and read the dates I had noted down and began browsing.

"How's our guard faring?" I asked.

"He's back in his office, engrossed in his distractions," Julie reported.

"Don't they possess a system to log door access? It can't be this straightforward."

Julie emitted a hollow laugh. "They do, but it's malfunctioning. An electrician is scheduled to address it tomorrow."

"How do you know?" I asked.

"I read their emails. I was bored," she confessed casually. Sorting through the files, I methodically inspected each document, cross-referencing to my dates and locations accurately. Easy enough. Time seemed to quicken, with Julie consuming multiple snacks while I cataloged the contents onto my laptop.

"These animal attacks baffle me," I murmured, perplexed by the curious entries.

"Indeed, it's puzzling. Nonetheless, you should leave soon; it's an hour until sunrise," Julie advised.

"Alright," I concurred, swiftly restoring the files to their original positions. Just as I prepared to extinguish the lights, the door leading to the stairs creaked open. OH, BLOODY HELL. A gun already in the man's hand, prompting me to act swiftly. I flipped the switch on the light before he could get a good look at me.

"What the fuck," the man said. I pulled out my own gun but didn't disengage the safety. I wasn't about to kill this man just because I had entered through an unauthorized entrance. I hid behind one of the shelves and listened as he silently made his way through the room. "Come out right this instance," he said, and the lights were turned on. I watched as he moved to take cover in case I was armed.

"What is happening?" Julie asked. "The guy is not in his office." I rolled my eyes. Nobody could help me now; this was all on me. It would be very disappointing to get caught before I even started my classes. His footsteps got closer, and when he rounded the shelf, he saw me. In response, I spun away and pulled my hood over my head and ran for the door. As I started up the stairs, I noticed my racing heart and the sweat prickling my forehead. It had been so warm down there. The man came after me, shouting for me to stop. I slammed the door in his face.

"There you are," Julie said in relief as I likely appeared on the surveillance. "He is right behind you," she nearly screamed – also why she wasn't in the field and sat in the offices. 

I darted through the dimly lit corridors of the police station, adrenaline surging through my veins. My heart pounded in my chest, matching the rhythm of my footsteps as I raced toward the exit. With the laptop of stolen files safely secured in my backpack, it felt like a weight dragging me down, but I couldn't afford to slow down. The sound of heavy footsteps echoed behind me, accompanied by the distinct click of a gun being cocked. 

My senses went into overdrive as I realized I had a gun pointed at my back. I pushed myself to run faster, my breath coming out in ragged gasps as I rounded a corner and spotted the exit just ahead. "Run faster," Julie said. But before I could reach it, a strong arm grabbed hold of my shoulder and pulled me back. Instinct took over as I twisted out of the officer's grip, ducking to avoid his grasp and getting to the floor, dragging him down with me. 

His gun went off.

"Tell me that wasn't you," Julie almost screamed, and I quickly muted her. I kicked the gun out of his hand and landed a good punch to his jaw.

"Stop it right there," he barked, his voice echoing through the empty hallway. I weighed my options quickly, knowing that I had to act fast if I wanted to escape. When he came at me again, I lunged forward, aiming another swift punch to his jaw, and he fell to the floor, growling and calling me a bitch. In that moment, I probably was one. With the time bought by him trying to get up from the floor, I ran towards the exit.

"Open the fucking door," I said to Julie, and luckily enough, I burst through the door and made a run for it out into the woods as cool air filled my lungs. Then sirens broke out, filling the forest around me.

I appericiate you taking your time to read my story. Please leave me a vote, follow and a comment if you want to show me some support

Find me on other socials

Instagram: emersonwinter.author

Pinterest: emersonwinter1

Tiktok: emersonwinter.author

Inkitt: emersonwinter

Thanks