♥𝐘𝐀𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐌𝐄𝐑𝐂𝐄𝐍𝐀𝐑𝐘

Start from the beginning

With a soft hum he exited the castle grounds, stepping back into the coverage of trees before turning as he reached the lake in the center of the garden. What a day, no? Or night if you're counting. Not that Cassian gives two shits, He was almost amidst to depart until-

He hears it.

The flap of wings.

Ah, there we go. Now that caught his attention. Is the royal swan of Theola, awake at this hour? Maybe he could sneak a few glances at you before he left... It wouldn't hurt for a little peek, no? Cassian turned his head, searching for the sound of your wings against the wind in this starless night once more.

It's coming from the riverside. Cautiously, he shuffled a few steps forward, hands coming to push the fiolage of leaves out of his peripheral vision before he felt the breath he didn't even know he was holding, hitch.

Ah.

There you are.

Sat nicely right above the rim of the river bank on a moonlit night, gazing upon the lapping waters as the wind danced, the vines of weeping willows overhead you like a canopy as you glanced down onto the glimmering reflection of the moon.

Cassian feels a urge to whistle at the sight.

You're beautiful.

And a sad beauty too, your soft white wings sprouting from your back -clipped to keep you from flying away- drooping limply across the ground -a telltale sign of submission- or Atleast, discomfort.

Oh, such a pretty little swan, singing for freedom.

Not that Cassian plans to give you any. He trudged closer, hand instinctively reaching out to what? To touch you? Maybe run his hands across your feathers, take you as his...Maybe. He takes a tentative step , then another before-

Snap!

A splintering crack tore through the night's cold air. Cassian feels himself freeze up as he -very foolishly- planted his feet onto a fallen branch. Damnit. He removed his boot over to assist the damage before glancing back at you. I was so close. If he heard it, you probably heard it too. Swans have better hearing than humans .

He sees you tense up, your fluffy feathers flare instinctively in self defense ; you spot him despite being quite well hidden beneath the greenery -eyes wide in mortification as the two of you stare at each other in silence. One, two, three...four...

Cassian is the first to break the silence, what point is there to hide now anyway? Mindfully stepping out of his hiding spot very , very slowly. Bringing his hands up in defense.

"Hey..hey..it's okay" he spoke gently through his mask to ease you up.

You don't seem to get his message, Crooning in distress as he came closer and flinching when the mercenary crouched down to your level to speak. He had a incoming foreknowledge you would take a run for it. Soon.

"No no don't be scared, pretty thing. I was jus' admirin' you." He whispered in hopes you'd calm down.You don't.

He takes a hand out, attempting to stroke your beautiful wings, maybe that will make you settle down? He hears you're sensitive there "C'mere pretty, I ain't gonna hurt cha." A soft mumble, fingers gently grazing over one of your secondary feathers and at first glance, all seems to go well. He finds the courage to stroke you a second time and immediately finds that, no , all seems to not go well. You react abruptly to his touch, flapping your -albeit clipped- wings frantically for escape with a squeak as you messily flew about , feathers flying and scrambling away.