Charmander, the Stray Pokémon

Start from the beginning

"Heh, it was just a piece of grass." said Brock. Misty growls angrily at Brock who laughs before getting a kick to the face and knocking the map out of his hands. "Ooh. That's gotta hurt." said Hayley as she puts Tengu back in his Pokeball.

"Olu." said Meeko, nodding in agreement, then points to Brock. "Riolu, Riol."

"I'm going crazy! Where are we?" asked Misty. Ash catches the map Brock was holding.

"According to this, we're right in the middle of nowhere." said Ash, then shows Misty a route they could take. "But it looks like route 24 leads right to Vermillion City."

"Does this trail take us to route 24?" she asked him.

"According to my calculations, it does." said Ash.

"Yippee!" said Hayley as she and Meeko jump for joy around Brock. "Let's go! Meeko and I need a bath!"

"All right! Then let's get this show on the road." said Misty, picking up her backpack and walks towards a rock pillar. "Huh? Hey Ash, Hayley, take a look at this thing."

"It looks like some kind of giant Pokémon." said Ash. "Pikachu."

"Chu!" said Pikachu, hiding behind Brock's backpack.

"Pikachu!" said a frustrated Ash.

"It's not a giant Pokémon." said Hayley as they ran up to see a small lizard Pokémon on top of a rock with a flame on its tail. "That's a small Pokémon."

"A Charmander." said Brock.

"Char." squealed Charmander causing the group to fall to the ground.

"Charmander, a flame burns on the tip of its tail from birth. It is said that a Charmander dies if its flame ever goes out." said Dexter.

"I didn't know that about Charmander." said Hayley.

"Well, now you know." said Brock, smiling.

"When Hayley and I went to get my first Pokémon from Professor Oak, I was disappointed because I couldn't get a Charmander." said Ash as Hayley gave Charmander a reassuring smile. "Now I can catch my own."

"I don't know. It looks like it's in bad shape." said Misty.

"Yeah, catch it and we'll take it to Pokémon center for help." said Brock.

"Pokeball, go!" shouted Ash, trying to capture Charmander who hits the Pokeball with its tail. "It looks pretty healthy to me. You think I should have Pikachu battle it first to weaken it and make it easier to catch?"

"Why don't you let me catch it?" asked Misty. "My water Pokémon would be stronger against Charmander."

"Hold on a minute." said Brock, pointing to Charmander. "Take a look at the flame on its tail."

"Char! Char!" panted Charmander.

"It doesn't look good." said Hayley. "Better yet.... Charmander doesn't sound very good either."

"Riolu. Riolu." said Meeko, worriedly as she heard how Charmander sounded.

"Exactly. There's no way it could still have the strength to battle." said Brock. "Ash, try the Pokeball one more time."

"All right, I will." said Ash. "Pokeball, go!"

The Pokeball hits Charmander. "All right!" shouted Ash but when Charmander comes out, the Pokeball hits Ash in the head.

"It sure has a lot of spunk." said Brock.

"A little too much if you ask me." said Ash.

"You know something? That Charmander has my respect." said Hayley. "Ash needed that. Thanks, Charmander."