Chapter 4 - Awakening

Fifteen minutes to midnight, 2019

Durban, Kwa-Zulu Natal, South Africa.

Time was ticking by faster than the pace Aleks and Morgan kept. Neither could care less if they reached the roof in time for the New Year. 

Aleks was still holding onto her hand. It was all Morgan thought of at that moment.

Gold and ivory decor adorned the hotel foyer. Their bare feet tracked sand all over the smooth polished marble floors that shone under the crystal chandeliers dripping from the high ceilings. The receptionist smiled warmly despite the glare the poor janitor shot them with his broom in hand.

Aleks gave her hand a small squeeze. "I just need to get something from my room, but you can go ahead to the roof—"

"Oh, your room is not on the way up?" Morgan asked.

He pulled one corner of his lips up into a smile, tilting his head. "It is," he said letting go of her hand to push the elevator button.

"Then I don't mind." Morgan smiled seductively. I don't mind at all going to your room. She bit her bottom lip.

Aleks's eyes flashed to her mouth before the elevator pinged open. Inside, he crossed his arms over his chest, the fabric stretched against his broad shoulders. Morgan instantly noticed. Of course, she averted her eyes to look at the floor instead. Incubus? She didn't mind.

"What are you smiling about?" he asked.

Morgan shrugged and moved to stand in the opposite corner. Her eyes trailed him up and down. Her cheeks flushed red when he caught her in the act.

"Well?" he prompted again.

She sighed. She hoped to get away with that one. "I was just thinking about the moment. It's exciting."

He let out a dark chuckle, openly allowing his eyes to admire her in return. "What are you some adrenaline junkie?"

She frowned. "What?"

"You're flirting with danger. Chatting up a stranger and blindly going to his room," he said darkly.

His words should unsettle her, but she recognized the playfulness in them. Besides, Keepers had little to fear.

She feigned shock and placed her hands on her hips. "I did not chat you up! That was your mistake."

He raised an eyebrow. "That's the part that bothers you?" he asked incredulously.

"It's the only part that's not true." She gave him a cheeky wink.

A musical laugh escaped his lips.

It took her by surprise. In a good way.

"I see, and for the record chatting you up was not a mistake," Aleks said walking out of the elevator.

She silently followed him, feeling smug.