8

I was walking around the center field after congratulating some teammates when I heard a voice I had missed, "Bebé querido?" Baby dear.

I turned around quickly hearing the nickname I hadn't heard in what feels like forever. Ona had begun calling me that when I hit a rather large growth spurt at 10 and started to trip over my own feet constantly, "Ona."

The shorter woman took a few steps towards me, "Hi Cam Cam, long time no see."

I pulled her into a hug with my one good arm, "I've missed you so much."

It had been so long since I had been so close to the Spanish girl that I hadn't realized how she must've stopped growing not long after I moved away, "I missed you too Cam."

My head was leaning against the top of her's which was resting against my shoulder, "Did you stop growing as soon as I left Spain?"

She chuckled and took a step back, "Well you look like you never stopped growing."

I just focused on her eyes for a moment without answering. They were a pair of eyes I could recognize from a mile away and could have never forgotten. As I stared into those brown eyes it brought me back to the streets of Barcelona, growing up running around like wild with Ona, tripping over my own feet at training, and teasing her for how she would never be able to win headers. "I eventually had to grow into my legs."

"And that you did," She rubbed her hand on my bicep, "I've missed you."

"I thought you had forgotten about me."

She scoffed, "How could I ever forget my best friend with the weird accent."

I smiled, "It's just been so long, and you never came up to me after matches so I just assumed."

"You never came up to me either."

"I tore my ACL last year; I wasn't at any away matches."

Her hand reached out to rub my good arm, "I know, I would as how are you doing with that, but if those two goals and the rest of the season say anything, I'd say it's going well."

I smiled, part of me thought and hoped that this meant she had been keeping an eye on my career, but I knew it was more likely just because my name had been brought up a lot recently. With how good the start of my season was I have been talked about a lot in the football world.

"Yeah, the start has been even better than I would've expected," I looked down at my arm, "I'm just hoping this doesn't keep me off the field too long."

"I'm not surprised, you are the best young player in the world, after all. And don't stress about your arm, I'm sure it will heal up in no time and you'll be back to scoring goals."

I felt a subtle blush rise on my cheeks, "I just can't deal with another injury keeping me off the field right now, I finally got back this is the last thing I need."

"Don't worry Cam, but as much as I enjoy watching you play, I would appreciate you staying off for a little while and give us a chance to gain a few positions on the table."

I laughed, "Well now I have to make sure I'm not out for long," I looked down at my feet for a moment, "I'm sorry for not keeping in touch or ever reaching out."

"I can't blame you for not staying in touch Cammy, we were just kids when you left, and I can't blame you for never reaching out because clearly neither did I."

"I know, but I never forgot about you, I always wondered what would've happened if I didn't have to leave."

She smiled, "It wasn't your choice to leave, but look at it this way, I would've never gotten my career if you stayed, I'd still be in your shadow."