Chapter 3

Month 2.5. 9 weeks

Amelia rushed into the patient room, tears already in her eyes as she observed Owen in the hospital bed. He had complained of feeling unwell this morning, but she hadn't thought much of it until she was overhead paged to his patient room.

"Is he okay?" she asked, her voice trembling.

"Relax, Amelia," Meredith chuckled as she palpated Owen's abdomen, "I'm pretty sure it's just his appendix."

"Are you sure?" she sought to confirm, still afraid. Maybe it was the hormones, or maybe the mortality of her fiancé had become too real to her now that she was carrying his child, but she couldn't imagine what she would do if something horrible had happened to him, and this was horrible enough in her mind.

As Meredith turned on the ultrasound and scanned it over his abdomen, she confirmed, "It's just his appendix." She breathed a sigh of relief and sat on the nearest stool, trying to catch her breath as she willed the room to stop spinning.

"Amelia, relax," Owen tried to assure her, but he winced in pain.

"Are you okay?" Meredith asked, her eyes still on the ultrasound monitor.

"Yeah, I'm..." she began, breathing slowly, "I'm okay. I was just worried." Meredith looked back at her and smiled, feeling sorry for the Shepherd. It was clear how much she loved and cared about him.

She looked back at the screen. "Well it hasn't ruptured yet, so we can still go in laparoscopically," she announced, finally turning off the monitor. "That means shorter healing time, thankfully. I'll get the nurses to come and prep you now, Chief." And with that, she was out of the room.

"Amelia," Owen called, looking across at her fragile being, "Come hold my hand."

"Okay," she answered, finally having calmed down as she slid across on the stool to his patient bed. She pouted at him and he smiled at her. "Don't scare me like that."

"I'm okay," he reassured her, squeezing her hand.

———

"He's still coming off the anaesthesia, and he might be in a little bit of pain," Meredith announced as she led Amelia to the patient room, "But the surgery went well and there were no complications." Meredith opened the door slowly and quietly, revealing a very drowsy and disoriented Owen eating ice chips from a cup and failing miserably at doing so. "I'll be back with his prescription."

"Hi." Amelia smiled as she neared the patient bed. "How are you feeling?"

"Pain," Owen groaned, trying to pick up an ice chip. It slipped right out of his hand and onto his gown, just like the other six pieces. Amelia took the cup from him and helped him to get the ice chips in his mouth. "I need some drugs," he said, loosely chewing on the ice, water dripping from his mouth and down his chin. His inability to maintain his etiquette, because of the anesthesia, was hilarious for her to observe.

"They're bringing some just now." Amelia chuckled.

Owen whipped his head to the right and looked at the door Meredith had just left through, complaining, "What's taking them so long?" Turning his head back to Amelia, he squinted at her and asked, "Did the doctor send you?" He looked at her from head to toe. "You're pretty."

Amelia laughed, not sure if he was entirely sure who she was. "Thank you."

"And your eyes are really blue," he droned on, raising his head to get a closer look.

"Eat the ice, Owen," she ordered him, finding his drugged induced compliments charming.

"You're probably the prettiest woman I've ever seen." He yawned and scratched his head before sticking his hand out for another ice chip. "You should act. Or model."