chapter 5

𝕽haella's nightdress was blackened by ash.Indents were imprinted onto her knees from the sand she lay in. The air was chilly but Rhaella found that she was not shivering. The sky was almost unnaturally dark, moving in waves above her.

Standing up, her legs shook slightly. She was alone. Rhaella wandered, eventually ending back in the same spot she started.

"Is anyone there?" Rhaella called out to the void. There came no answer. The silence was suffocating her being.

Then, there was a deep rumble followed by a groan. Rhaella's head snapped in the direction of the sound, eyes widened in fear.A fury of fire danced towards her rapidly, scorching the sand in its path. She tried to run away as fast as her legs would allow. But the swelter of the heat was much faster. Rhaella cried out as the flames lit up her body.

Her attempts at screaming were futile, the fire reaching up to her midriff. Unable to move, Rhaella dropped into the sand again.

Perhaps this was hell, one she was well deserving of. She thought of all the times she had mocked Rhaena for her prayers. Maybe this is where she belonged, to be swarmed by the very flames she's lusted after all this time.

Rhaella closed her eyes to accept her seemingly sealed fate. A whisper lingered in her ears.

"Dragons and death are one and the same, A dragon walks closely with death, death shall be its crown."

The words previously uttered by Heleana rang all around her. Rhaella considered it was all feasible that she had upset a higher power.

" I thought you would put up more of a fight." A deep voice spoke. 

The orange flames that licked up her body transformed into a mesmerizing shade of green. It no longer pained her.

Rhaella looked up to the sound of the voice. An imposing figure loomed over her. It wore a long cloaked robe. Rhaella could've sworn she was looking the figure in the face, But there was no face to be seen.

" No need to fight, I can recognize a dream," Rhaella said. A false bravado laced her voice as she spoke. As if she wasn't screaming only moments ago.

If the figure had noticed her front, it did not comment. It raised a hand, scaly and black it was, undoubtedly inhumane. The flames that danced on her body disappeared instantly.

Rhaella attempted to stand up, but her knees buckled once again. She felt no fear of the figure. It sounded vaguely male, too androgynes to tell.

"Dreams are what made your family lineage kings." The voice said. Its voice was all-consuming, luring her into a state of calm. She had no will to protest or deny.

No. Rhaella could not help it, as every word that tumbled out of her mouth was nothing but the pure truth.

" I have no real dream, nor do I have any desire to be a king," Rhaella admitted.    The image of self-importance that she worked so hard to build for herself was falling apart in favor of this enthralling voice.