Chapter 14

I'm your go-go dancer,
Midnight answer,
Jukebox sweetheart,
Queen of the night.

Go Go Dancer - Lana Del Rey

Winter break was filled with lots, and I mean lots of work.

Virtually, I was in the shop day and night. The only time I ever was somewhere else was when I went home and when I took my breaks. Otherwise, I'd have to be on for hours on end. It's exhausting, and I can't even say that it's worth it because I absolutely hate my job.

The cheers of the patrons shake me out of my trance, and I glance over at the poker table. It seems like Monsieur Lavigne won yet again, and it wouldn't take long before he comes waddling up to the bar for another Gimlet.

"María, my darling. Care to join me for a drink?" I hear the old man jabber, and I take a deep breath before turning over to face him, a big smile on my face.

"Did you win again, Monsieur Lavigne? It seems like Lady Luck is on your side." I purr.

The old man lets out a loud laugh and he gives me a dangerous look, lowering his tone. "I just think that it's you who gives me luck tonight." He hints, and I can't do anything but have to swallow my disgust down.

It's true - I work as a go-go dancer in my dad's shop. In the night, when we close the kiosk down, we open the back where people can freely gamble and drink as much as they want. To bring customers in, Father makes me go around and talk to the patrons.

None of them know my real name, of course. Father isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but he isn't that dull. I go by María, and barely half of our regular customers even know my stage name.

I dance around, I flirt with people, and I bring drinks to them. That's my job, and as easy as it sounds, it's fucking terrifying. I live in constant fear that someone will recognize me one day, and I'll be shamed for my whole life.

...But what else can I do?

I wink at Monsieur Lavigne before blowing him a kiss, getting off of my barstool to waltz around the place. I get a glance over the status on everyone, and I turn around when I hear someone calling after me.

"Sexy lady," The man slurred, and I can tell that he's only in his mid-twenties and very drunk. "Give me a lap dance." He demands and I muster up the nicest smile I can get before politely declining him. We have a no touch policy for the dancers who work here, which unfortunately enough, was only me.

The shop has a lot of rules, and one of them is that it's 18+ only. Which does mean that I don't have to run into people my age that often. Even if I do, the heavy makeup and masquerade mask helps concealing me from getting recognized.

The music in the background gets me moving, and sometimes, I like losing myself to the beat. On the days where I just want to forget about everything that's happened, music is my escape. It's just unfortunate that the only music I ever get to dance to is here.

I twirl around, and the male patrons start whistling and clapping. Slowly, I lose control, and 'Madeline' starts becoming 'María' and it's like a switch is flipped. I start dancing, the money starts flying, and I know that Father is going to be happy when we close down.

After a while, I go back to the bar to start giving out drinks - which is just code for getting people more drunk and raising their tabs up. They forget about it, we can charge them for all of the drinks and it's easy money.

The further we get into the night, the drunker and touchier people get. The male patrons start placing their hands on my body and at that point, I'm too tired to tell them off.

Father pays me every month, so it's not all for free and I get to keep any tips that the patrons give out but is it really worth it? Is losing a tiny bit of my dignity every night worth it?

I excuse myself to take a break, exiting the shop to stand out in the freezing cold of the night. A break is max. 20 minutes, and I either spend my time throwing up or crying. I hate this job, I hate the people, I hate my father, but most of all, I hate myself for agreeing to do it.

When we first opened, I used to be allowed to not have to work every other night. But ever since the shop has gotten more patrons, Father says that the demand for entertainment has never been higher and he couldn't simply miss out on more cash.

I always wonder if he ever thinks about me, about my life, my future. If anyone ever finds out that I work in an illegal-run casino as a minor, I'd probably be singled out and no one would ever want to talk to me.

Then I wouldn't be able to get married, to have kids, nor a future. It's simply all because my father thinks about money more than he thinks about his own daughter.

And Maman obviously doesn't know. I don't have the guts to tell her, and my Father watches over me like a hawk whenever I'm home so that he's sure I don't go snitching to her about it.

Besides, she would believe my Father if I ever come running to her. She'll probably disown me and get me deported to Normandy so I learn how to become a nun and repent for my sins.

"María, come here and dance for my friends to see." One of our regular patron's voices knock me out of my trance, and I take a deep inhale before making my way over.

If only I had never looked.

"Joseph?"

- SORRY THE CLIFFHANGER WAS NECESSARY FHDUEIDJ

- A bit of a boring chapter tho SORRY PLANS CHANGED MIDWAY

- We get a deeper look into Madeline's life though so!!!