Nineteen - Stealth mission it is.

Start from the beginning

Everyone either cleaning or doing whatever the hell people do in this place, the hallways were near empty. The sound of my boots clicking on the floor causing a weird feeling to run through my body, my mind racing at the same pace my heart was. And I was back to thinking, thinking about everything.

What if a Dauntless traitor came around that corner? What if I was to drop from my wound and no one passed through? What if I was to just... die? Right now, no one to stop it, no one to see it, I would just cease to exist like so many others have before me.

I let out a harsh breath as I felt one of my hips click, I leaned against a wall, placing my head against it and sighing. And for once in my life, I wished I was back in Amity. On the fields, unburdened by choice, and the sun on my face. Sweat running down my body from heat, and not from over exertion, being tired and my muscles sore because the farm is the most unforgiving piece of work I knew, and not because I was used as a punching bag.

Did I make a mistake? I thought to myself as I looked at a reflection of myself, on a warped piece of glass lying on the floor. My hair a mess, my body a mess, everything... a mess. No matter how much I cleaned and cleaned, scrubbed the my skin until it was red, I would still be...

Dauntless number one. And that was one of the worst things I could ever imagine my legacy being. I barely look to the side as I heard someone start walking down the hallway, Christina and some other girl passing down a different hallway than where I was standing, watching as Tris followed them. "Huh..." I muttered as I stayed still for a few more seconds before continuing to walk down my hallway.

Shock ran through my body when I turned the corner and felt my head bang off of something, my first thought being a wall until I looked up, holding my forehead. "Oh..." I said with slight boredom. We both stared at each other for a few seconds, not the kind of forlorn look I usually would have given him, but the kind saying 'can't you move out of the way?'.

"Heard you got shot..." Four muttered, but with that same tone of sternness he would use before telling me how idiotic I was. But it felt weird that we were talking about it a day later, until I remembered I hadn't seen him during the whole shooting.

"Nothing really new." I said with a shrug, straightening my back and placing my hands into my pockets.

"No it's not." My eyes slightly narrowed as I looked away from him, hearing that tone after everything brought a new feeling of rage into me, why did he think he still had the authority to talk to me like a child?

I hummed and nodded. "I'm going now." I said with a slightly tensed jaw, walking past him.

"We still need to talk." I rolled my eyes absentmindedly, hearing a small growl in this throat as if he was talking through gritted teeth. Out of the two people in this hall, why was he angry? I stopped walking and clicked my tongue before turning around to look at him.

"About what?" I sighed as I crossed my arms. Feeling a sense of boredom run through me, something I never felt before when talking to Four.

He stayed quiet for a few seconds before placing his hands into his pockets and shrugging. "I guess we could start with.... us breaking up?" I scoffed, a small bitter laugh leaving as I shook my head. "It was kind of unexpected Y/n!" His voice raised slightly.

"Really? That's what you want to talk about?" I asked, my eyebrows furrowed again as I kept an amused smile on my face. "We have almost died multiple times in the past few weeks, we have no allies apart from your psycho mother, we are being hunted... but you want to talk about why we aren't sharing a bed anymore?" I asked, my tone filled with disbelief. "You really have your priorities in order don't you?"

"Us almost dying was yesterday... and every day before that! Everything that has happened to us has happened to multiple others for years! I'm trying to focus on what is here right now!" My eye twitched slightly at how he still had his voice raised, not enough to be yelling but enough that it bounced off of the walls.

"And that is me is it?" I asked with an extreme mocking tone, chuckling again as I looked away from him.

"It is actually."

I sighed and shook my head. "What the fuck do you want me to say?!" I yelled slightly as I glared at him.

"I want an answer!" He yelled back at me, my jaw tensing more as I watched him take a step closer. "Why did we-" He stopped, both of us looking down the hallway as we heard Tris walking towards us.

"Perfect timing!" I said with obvious sarcasm, crossing my arms over my chest again.

"So I am definitely interrupting something..." Tris said slowly. "I just needed to talk to Y/n for a minute." She said, her hand raising slightly as she pointed at me.

"Well you can wait." Four snapped.

"Bye." I said as I grabbed Tris' arm and started walking away from him, taking a turn down the corridor, not knowing where the hall went.

"So I wasn't interrupting?" Tris asked with slight confusion before taking her arm back from my grip and walking with me, neither of us even thinking to look behind us.

"You were and you did." I answered blatantly. "But I'm not complaining, what did you want to talk about?" Tris went to talk before looking down the hallway, a small gasp leaving me as I get practically dragged off of my feet and into a supply closet. I stayed quiet for a moment as Tris looked out the door before closing it. "Did you want a make out session or something?" I asked.

"What? No-" She stopped for a moment before shaking her head. "Maybe later." I nodded and leaned against the wall. "Me and a few others have decided to do something possibly dangerous... and I know you might agree that we should do this, but I need someone else who isn't only focused on Erudite and who actually cares if they die or not."

"Fair." I nodded.

"We are going to listen in on King and whoever Jeanine sends as a representative..." I straightened my back slightly. "I think Jeanine will try and manipulate King... especially since he doesn't care about us, he hasn't actually got anything to offer her... we need to know Y/n." I stayed quiet for a few moments, thinking as I scratched the back of my neck.

"That is... one of the safest plans I've heard any of us come up with in a long time..." I muttered. "Alright..." I nodded. "Stealth mission it is."

1894 words.