Chapter Nine

Miss Bolton and her family arrived on a cold, wet day with a light drizzle that carried in the wind. Dark clouds lingered overhead and threatened a much stronger rain than the one we were forced to stand in to welcome the guests. Martha shivered beside me. The rain smacked me in the face every time the wind below and my dress rustled around my legs. It was a welcome relief when they finally began to exit the carriage.

The first person to exit the carriage was Mr Bolton, a short, stout man dressed in a black suit and hat. He walked with a cane and limped a little. Second was his wife, who was a head taller than him with blonde hair that she'd piled up onto her head and was no doubt held together by countless pins. Miss Bolton was last.

She climbed out with her head held high, a small strand of blonde hair curling around her face. Her eyes moved over the servants, who were all lined up and stopped on me for a few seconds longer than everyone else. I held her stare for a moment. Miss Bolton broke the stare first, following her parents over to Lord and Lady Turner, who stood with Mr Turner.

I watched the usual, polite greetings be exchanged between them, but when it came to Mr Turner, something shifted. Even from the other side of the drive, I could see him tense up the moment his hand touched hers to gently kiss her knuckle. Although he appeared to be looking at her, his eyes looked just past her. There was no sign of arrogance or bravado.

"That couldn't have been a more frosty reception," Martha said, drawing her arms into her chest to try to protect her body from the wind. We followed Mrs Folkestone around the side of the house as the family and the guests entered through the front door.

"Tell me 'bout it. I ain't never seen Mr Turner act like that towards a young lady, not as long as I've known him," Bertie said.

"Oi, Paul!" Martha called, trying to signal Paul, who walked ahead of us. Paul turned, stopping so we could catch up. "You know Mr Turner and Miss Bolton's relationship better than any of us. How did it end in London?"

"Abruptly. Mr Turner's decision to leave was unexpected and I don't think they parted on the best terms because of it. He didn't tell her he was leaving, either."

"Why did he leave?"

"He never said. I believe it might have had something to do with the fight he was in, but I cannot say for certain and I don't want to gossip. All I know is that he returned to his lodgings one day with a cut on his head and demanded we come back."

"What do you think, Lily? You spend the most time with Mr Turner."

"I don't know. He doesn't seem happy, but it's not as if we talk much."

Martha waved her hand at me. "I know, you just do your work. You're no fun, Lily. There is something unusual about the two of them, especially given Mr Turner's less than clean history."

"That's enough speculation, all of you," Mrs Folkestone said. "You are here to work, and the Turner family's affairs are none of our business." She turned to look at me. "Miss Bolton is settling into her room, Lily. You should go and introduce yourself and make her aware of your presence."

"Yes, Mrs Folkestone."

I left Martha and the others to continue their gossip whilst I made my way up to the side of the house where Miss Bolton and her family were staying. Paul's comments had given me a lot to think about when it came to Mr Turner, especially the knowledge that his decision to leave London had been an abrupt one.

No one knew he was coming. Since his arrival, he'd not been forthcoming with information about his time in London and I wondered if his less than amicable split with Miss Bolton may have been part of the reason. Paul made it seem like the fight he was in had been the catalyst, but Martha said Mr Turner had never been one to walk away from a fight. Then again, everything I'd been told about him so far had been false.

I wondered if Miss Oleson, whoever she may have been, might have been one of his reasons for returning the way he did. Maybe he had just had enough of the city and the people in it. Anything was possible.

My mind continued to spin when I stepped out into the hallway and headed down to Miss Bolton's rooms. She had been given one of the smaller guest rooms, but the room I shared with Martha could have fitted into it with additional space left behind and it looked like she needed it. Just from the doorway, it appeared that Miss Bolton had bought more than necessary for a short stay.

I knocked on the door, tucking my hands behind my back.

"Yes? Can I help you?" Miss Bolton asked.

"My name is Lily, Miss. Lord Turner asked me to make myself available to you if you needed me." I curtseyed, looking up and meeting her eyes.

"You look familiar. Have we met before?"

"I don't believe so, Miss."

"Hm, I suppose you just have one of those faces." She frowned a little, as though unbelieving of her own comment. "Thank you. I shall be sure to ask for you if I need anything. You can go."

"Very well, Miss."

I turned away from her, but I could still feel her eyes burning into my back as I walked away from the door and towards the servants' entrance. I always prided myself on making myself invisible, of disappearing into the shadows unseen. The last thing I needed was for someone to recognise my face.

I hoped she believed my story, that she wouldn't try to poke too far into my affairs. The history I presented to Lord Turner was sound enough. I wouldn't have been offered the position if not, but someone determined enough may have been able to find the faults. I didn't like people asking too many questions about my life before I landed in Lord Turner's service.

There were some things better left hidden, and that was one of them. My entire position would be on the line if Miss Bolton refused to take my word as truth.

If only Lord Taylor had asked Martha to look after Miss Bolton instead.

~~~

First Published - February 29th, 2024