Chapter Six

Mrs Folkestone was less than impressed with the burn on my hand, but she accepted the story without questioning it — why would she? She wrapped a wet cloth around my hand with strict instructions to change it until I could stand having it in open air for longer than a few seconds. From there, it just became a case of not popping the blister — which was easier said than done.

It didn't hinder my work in any way, and I could at least be grateful for that.

It did, however, become a source of gossip and intrigue around the lower servants. Martha, in particular, refused to accept my argument even after several days.

"You've stoked so many fires before and never burnt yourself. All I'm saying is that Mr Turner is the only difference between then and now," Martha said. She raised an eyebrow at me, abandoning the sideboard she was supposed to be dusting.

"It was an accident. I wasn't paying attention, that's all. Mr Turner walked in just afterwards."

"But—"

"—No. I'm not going to let you pin something on him that wasn't his fault. It was an accident."

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say you're starting to like him."

I shrugged. "He's not as bad as everyone made him out to be, at least not from what I've seen."

"Just you wait. You heard him yelling the other day. The peace never lasts as long as we want it to." She rolled her eyes, brushing a stray hair out of her face. "You should be careful, though. Twice, Lord Turner has caught you both in a less than appropriate situation. I'm not the only one starting to talk."

I turned away from her, refusing to entertain the idea and give it any more credence. I'd heard the whisperings the previous day after one of the other servants heard Lord Turner talking to his wife. They could think what they liked, but I knew I couldn't risk Lord Turner thinking there was anything more to it.

The last thing I wanted to do was lose my job; there were still some things I needed to do. All I could do was try to quash the rumours before they started to fly out of control. I had to hope that my perfect work record worked in my favour, at least allowing people to second guess their opinions of me. They should have known me better than that by now.

All I could say was that there was nothing going on between myself and Mr Turner.

Nor would there be.

I had a job to do and nothing was going to get in my way, not if I could help it. Not Lord Turner, nor Martha, or Mr Turner. None of them would get in my way.

After dusting and cleaning the parlour and drawing room, Martha and I returned to the kitchen for luncheon — we ate before the family did.

"You have a letter, Lily," Mrs Folkestone said when I stepped into the kitchen. "It's on the side there."

I frowned. "A letter?"

"Yes, it was delivered when you were upstairs. You sound surprised. Were you not expecting a letter?"

"No, I wasn't."

"Well, it's definitely addressed to you. Either that or there's another Lily Rhodes working here."

Mrs Folkestone turned to Bertie to reprimand him as he shoved a whole cheese sandwich in his mouth without hesitation. I grabbed the small envelope off the kitchen counter and stepped out into the hallway so no one could read over my shoulder. Servants were the main cause of gossip, after all.

In the months I'd been working for the Turners, I'd only received one letter. Letters, in my opinion, gave the servants a talking point, an opportunity to ask questions that I didn't want to answer if I could help it. The questions asked about me the better it was for all involved. It had to have been a mistake.

Yet my name was scrawled across the envelope in almost illegible writing. The fact that it had been read at all astounded me unless it had been taken to the house by someone nearby rather than through the postal system.

I opened the envelope, which revealed two letters. Only one of them was addressed to me. I moved closer to the small window, which allowed a small slither of light to fall in the hallway so I could read it.

Dear Miss Rhodes,

I want to thank you for ensuring the letter from Mr Turner reached me. He said you were the only person he trusted to make sure the letter was sent quickly and with fewer people finding out about its existence. Very few people would be willing to do such a thing.

Jacob says he believes he can trust as a friend, which is not something he has a lot of. I hope that is true. We don't know each other, though I hope one day we might, but I am glad to know Jacob has someone he trusts.

I've placed my response to his letter alongside this one. Please ensure he gets it and please look out for him. He isn't as confident as everyone believes him to be.

Yours,

Miss Sarah Oleson.

I read the letter, and the name signed at the bottom, several times to make sure I wasn't seeing things. It surprised me that Miss Oleson had decided to write to me and send the other letter along with it, though it added the air of mystery surrounding her relationship with Mr Turner.

She addressed him as though they were friends, or perhaps a little more, and seemed to have a better measure of him than anyone else. Perhaps the most surprising part of the letter was the idea that Mr Turner and I were friends. We had had three interactions, which was hardly enough to consider us friends. That and he was my employer. That was all he could have been.

I tucked the letters into my apron pocket with the intention of handing Mr Turner his when I had the chance — I couldn't keep it — before returning to the servant's hall. I took my usual seat beside Martha, rearranging my face into a more neutral expression.

"Everything alright?" she whispered.

"Fine."

"Right, now that everyone is here, I have an announcement to make," Mrs Folkestone said. "Lord Turner has invited Miss Bolton and her family to stay with us for a few days. They will be arriving next week, which gives us plenty of time to prepare."

Martha leaned close to my ear. "Just what we need. Visitors on top of Mr Turner and his tempers."

I bit back a retort and focused on the food in front of me, but my mind was still spinning about the letter and the mysterious Sarah Oleson.

~~~

First Published - February 26th, 2024