𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐒𝐎𝐃𝐄 𝟏 - 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐂𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐌𝐒 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐄𝐂𝐄𝐀𝐒𝐄𝐃

Azuriyah's eyes opened in a split second, a flicker of hope like a stubborn ember amidst the consuming darkness that loomed over her existence. With each passing moment, her senses gradually returned, but all she found was a darkness, swallowing her whole. Shadows danced around her at the fringes of her vision, croaking out hushed whispers of the realities she herself couldn't comprehend.

Yet, everything felt disturbingly real.

Suddenly the whispering grew louder, as the words reached every corner, the voices repeated in languages long forgotten:

"Salvum nos, ad mortem מגיהינום..."

Then, as abruptly as they'd begun, the voices ceased, as if halted by time itself.

Azuriyah called out into the void, her voice filled with desperation for solace and understanding.

Her heart pounded against her ribcage, beating at the rhythm of fear. She had hoped that the orchestrator of the madness could reveal the reasons behind their whispers through the sheer force of her anguish. But the silent remained unyielding signaling her futility.

It was as though she had stepped into an alternate dimension, a realm where the human species had vanished without a trace.

With each advancing stride, it felt like shivers slithered down her spine. Every time her feet came in contact with the frigid touch of the water, her flesh shuddered; as the dark air grew chillier, her blood ran cold.

"Is anybody there?" she pleaded into the darkness, fear and desperation dripped from her words. "Please, Somebody. Help me!" Yet, only the emptiness of the darkness replied.

As seconds stretched on, each moment feeling like an eternity, a scarlet aura began to materialise behind Azuriyah, slowly enveloping her. Azuriyah's gaze drifted downwards, only to find her feet disappearing into the swirling mist below.

Turning around, she was met with the sight of a weapon emanating a potent aura. It bore a peculiar resemblance to a dagger as it hovered in the air whilst casting the only source of light in the darkness. Intrigued, Azuriyah's curiousity compelled her steps forward, as if drawn by a magnetic force.

Examining the weapon, she noticed some ancient markings engraved: "אבנית"

Despite her initial hesitation, Azuriyah reached out to touch it, feeling a faint pulse of energy reverberate through her fingertips. It was as tough a connection had been forged between them.

"Woah," she said, her voice filled with wonder and belief as the sword brought a sense of comfort.

Encouraged by this sensation, she attempted to grasp the weapon. However, as her fingers made contact with its blade handle, a searing agony shot through her veins. Releasing the weapon, it clattered loudly, the sound resonating in her ear canals. In that moment, it felt as though Death itself had brushed against her soul.

***

Then, as if in response to her desperate plea, Azuriyah's eyelids snapped open.

Her eyes scanned her cluttered, dimly lit room with furrowed brows, as if seeking solace from what had transpired. As the first delicate rays of dawn tiptoed into her room, she hastily propped herself on her bed.

It was a dream.

One that returned to torment her at that.

Caught in the golden rays, danced the dust in the air as her alarm began blaring. However, Azuriyah still lingered in the hazy realm between dreams and reality, causing its noise to fade into the recesses of her mind.