"Hello Regulus." A strong voice spoke from behind him. Regulus's span around to find the source and found himself face to face with Bartemius Crouch Jr. Regulus gasped inadvertently at the closeness between them and Crouch instantly took a step back. "I wanted to apologise for my behaviour at the start of this year. I should've realised that after what happened you would need a friend, more than anything else." He continued. Regulus just stared at him.

"I really am sorry Reg." Crouch extended his hand for Regulus to shake. Regulus knew that the handshake symbolised forgiveness and acceptance. He still felt incredibly uneasy, but he knew life would be easier if he and Crouch could talk to each other again. He shook the boy's hand, firmly. Crouch smiled widely. Regulus couldn't remember a time when he'd seen Crouch smile in the past 5 years, apart from when he was hexing a first year or doing something else sadistic. It was an awkward sort of grimace, but it seemed genuine and Regulus felt a sense of relief.

For the next few weeks, the two boys tentatively tried to work out how to be friends again. Crouch had approached Regulus before breakfast one day and asked if he would sit with him, rather than at the Gryffindor table like he tended to. Regulus had agreed and couldn't help but spot Sirius's confused gaze as he sat at his house table, opposite Crouch. He had shrugged at Sirius, reassuring him that he was confused too. Regulus quickly noticed that his reconnecting with Crouch was increasing his popularity in Slytherin. A few of the older members of Slytherin seemed to have grown close to Crouch over the past few months and since Christmas they were thick as thieves. They would whisper to each other but stop whenever anyone else could overhear them, they also snuck off together in the evenings. Regulus never bothered to question this, the Marauders acted just like that and there was nothing suspicious going on there. Regulus was more than happy to just have some company again in Slytherin. The Gryffindor groups were all studying for exams most of the time and though Regulus loved silently reading alongside them, he was genuinely enjoying sneaking off each night for quidditch practice with Crouch and a few seventh-year boys.

"I'm going to the Gryffindor party tonight; do you want to come? They're way more fun than you'd think." Regulus offered to Crouch, who was trying to burn his name into the ceiling with his wand.

"No thanks mate, you go and have fun though." Crouch answered. Regulus had expected him to say no, but the offer alone had felt like a good sign between the two of them.

Outside the entrance to the Gryffindor Common Room Regulus felt confident for the first time since he'd left home. He had great friends in the Marauders and was now gaining friends again in Slytherin, things were finally looking up. Not to mention the ridiculously handsome, dark haired boy who swung the portrait open and was now ushering him in to the room. Regulus could smell the Firewhiskey on James's breath as he moved past him. It was endearing, but James was renowned for being a lightweight when it came to alcohol and the night had only just begun.

"The prodigal brother returns!" Remus cheered as Regulus poured himself a drink. "We're playing truth or dare over here." Regulus bumped into a few people as he made his way over to the group, which included a large number of new members. Everyone seemed to be bordering on drunk, as James had been, and Regulus had no real interest in catching up, he just enjoyed the company.

"Dare!" Marlene announced to Lily and Sirius, who were in charge of creating the things everyone had to do or admit. They looked at each other for a second and wordlessly came to the same thought.

"Kiss Dorcas" Lily and Sirius smirked. Regulus had never seen Marlene blush before, but her cheeks bloomed crimson instantly. It wasn't an embarrassed blush though; it was a shy one. Marlene turned to Dorcas, a pretty Gryffindor girl with dark skin and stunning brown eyes. They were always sat together, Regulus had seen them across the Great Hall plenty of times, they always laughed when they were together, and they never seemed as happy when they were apart. Marlene kissed Dorcas very softly, a kiss that was filled with care, charged with excited anticipation. The group around them whooped and cheered as they broke apart, both smiling at each other like they were the happiest people alive.