Seven

"Police?" Aadya questioned in surprise and horror.

Tanay stood up, gesturing for her to be seated.

"Is there a problem?" Tanay asked the officer.

Aadya looked around and saw almost everyone had emptied the park. She was confused.

"Did you not read the board? It clearly says no couples allowed, family only." The officer pinned him with a glare.

"We are a family." Tanay told him. "She's my wife."

"What's your proof?"

Tanay frowned.

"I'm wearing the mangalsutra." Aadya quietly said.

The officer looked at her and rolled his eyes. "Nowadays couples do that. You can't fool me with that fake thing."

"I-It's real." Aadya stammered out of nervousness.

"Stuttering equals lying."

"We are telling you the truth, we are married. We've been married for a year now." Tanay said. "Now, if you'll excuse us."

"Where's the certificate, huh?" The officer scoffed. "Married for a year... I don't see any child with you."

"Listen--"

"Tanay." Aadya grabbed his arm. "Let's go. He is not gonna listen to us no matter what we say." She muttered.

"No, hold on." He placed his hand on hers. "Listen," he turned back to the police, "you don't get to talk crap to me, okay? There are acid attacks and rapes happening every minute, how about you go check on that than to harass random couples-"

"Tanay-"

"You like to talk a lot, huh?" The officer looked like he would explode any second now. "I'll charge you with attacking a police officer and arrest you."

"Sir," Aadya butted in between them. "Sir, we really are married. And we were just about to leave anyway."

"Aadya, call bhai." Tanay said and read the name on that uniform.

"Tanay, let's not."

Tanay took his phone and dialed his brother.

"Haa, Tanay. What's-"

"There is this officer named Deepak Mishra, harassing us and threatening to arrest me under a false accusation."

"...I'll look into that."

Not even thirty seconds passed, the sound of the walkie-talkie pierced through the air.

"Mishra, let go of the couple. He is the brother of our P.I."

Glaring daggers at Tanay, the officer finally left them.

Tanay flopped down on the bench with a sigh. "I'm sorry." He mumbled, taking Aadya's hand.

"No, it's okay." She squeezed his hand. She wrapped his arm around him again and leaned her head on his shoulder, just like they were before they were rudely interrupted.

Tanay had his other arm over his eyes, cursing himself for acting so aggressively in front of her.

When he finally dropped his arm and looked at her, expecting her to be a little sad, he was surprised to find her smiling.

"So...the selfie?" She handed him the phone.

He chuckled, his chest vibrating with his laugh. That made Aadya laugh as well. She wrapped her other arm around him and hugged him.

She stretched up and kissed his cheek. Warmed up, he leaned his head against her.

"Tanay."

"Hmm?"

"Take the picture." She flicked his forehead.

"Yes ma'am."

After the park, they went to a restaurant to have an amazing lunch as they had promised earlier.

After ordering their food, they waited. While Tanay was not paying her attention, she reached out in her purse and pulled out her phone, sneakily clicking his pictures.

She couldn't help herself; he looked too good to not be clicked.

Their order arrived soon.

Garlic butter naan and mutton curry with salad on the side.

The smell of it made her mouth water.

"Smells good." Tanay nodded.

Aadya took the first bite and...bliss. Heaven.

"Too good!" She grinned. "We are coming back here again."

"Okay." Tanay laughed.

They had their lunch, chatting about random things.

After lunch, they grabbed the bus and went home.

"I had a lot of fun today." Aadya said as he opened the lock to the house.

"Me too." He smiled, letting her in first.

"And the food was so good!" She groaned. "I wanted to have more, but my stomach wasn't agreeing to it." She flopped on the couch.

Tanay had never seen her so carefree. She has never looked so beautiful.

"We'll go there again."

"Yes!" She smiled, dazed. "It's been so long since I went out; I'm feeling a bit tired even though I didn't do anything."

"Go change; you'll feel good." Tanay suggested, already unbuckling his watch and unbuttoning his shirt.

"Mm, in a little bit." She mumbled and yawned.

She really did look tired.

Tanay walked to her and picked her up all of a sudden, bridal-style.

She squeaked in surprise and wrapped her arms around his neck. He felt her lips against his cheek and smiled.

He laid her down on the bed slowly and kissed the tip of her nose.

While he was in the bathroom to freshen up, she changed into her sweatpants and his t-shirt, lying back on the bed.

When Tanay stepped out, his hair damp, Aadya stood up and stopped in front of him.

"Hm?" He raised an eyebrow. Her cheeks looked a little flushed. "You okay?"

"Kiss me." She muttered, placing her hands flat on his chest.

Tanay cupped her neck with one hand and sighed, resting their foreheads together. "You sure?" She nodded against him. He pulled her up, making her stand on her tip toes and pressed their lips together.

Her hand curled around his neck, and she opened her mouth a little, kissing him back.

"Aadya..." He whispered. He snakes his other hand around her waist, pulling her closer, his other hand stroked her cheek. He pulled back, touching their foreheads together. "I love you."

Aadya pecked his lips once more. "I love you too."

The ringing of Tanay's phone startled both of them.

It made Tanay whine. He was pretty sure it was from work.

When he picked up his phone, he saw it was his mother.

While he took the call, Aadya stepped into the bathroom to wash her face.

When she came back, Tanay told her his parents are coming back home tomorrow afternoon.

"Okay. I'll have the lunch prepared for them." She said and lied down on the bed.

With her stretched-out arms, she invited him to join too.

He accepted her offer and spooned her as they laid in silence.