Prologue

Eight hours in labor.

And a child was born, not even alive.

Not a single family member was by her side-neither her mother, father, nor the in-laws. Not even her husband.

"We told you about the risks of having the child," the doctor, Aadya's gynecologist, said. "I'm just glad you're okay." She squeezed Aadya's shoulder, assuring her that everything would be fine.

The loud screams and yells outside the ward made the doctor frown. She asked a nurse what was happening outside.

"Ma'am, it's her family. They are making a scene outside since we told them about the baby," the nurse said.

The doors opened with a loud sound, and an older woman in her green saree stepped in-or more like stomped in. Before anyone could make sense of it, a smack echoed through the room.

"You...!"

"What are you doing? You can't slap her like that; she's a patient! Oh my god, get her out!" The doctor called for help.

Aadya wasn't responding to anything. Her eyes blankly stared into empty space, silent tears rolling down her cheeks.

"You killed my grandson!! After everything we have done for you-"

"Ma'am, please, get out. This is not good for the patient's health."

Aadya's father-in-law finally pulled his wife out of the room. The doctor turned to Aadya and grabbed her hand.

"Honey, is your entire family like this? Do you need help? You can talk to me. I can get you help, okay?"

Aadya wasn't hearing any of it.

The doctor turned to the nurse. "Call Dr. Savitri."

Dr. Savitri was a psychiatrist, and only she could help Aadya at this point. But alas, Dr. Savitri was on leave.

Four hours later, Aadya was being taken home by her in-laws. Her family didn't visit her, not after hearing the news.

Her father and mother-in-law were arguing and making remarks about her, saying what a bad choice they had made while choosing their son's bride. She couldn't even give them a grandchild.

More like she killed their grandson.

As soon as the cab stopped in front of their house, Aadya stepped in monotonously and walked straight to her room.

She didn't step out for the whole day, and nobody asked for her to either. They didn't call her down for lunch or for dinner. The house was very quiet. A sadness lingered in the air.

Aadya's husband, Tanay, was out on business, unaware of everything that had happened.

That night, he came home at 3 in the morning.

Thinking everyone was asleep, as always, he stepped inside the kitchen and served himself whatever was left from dinner. He didn't want to trouble his wife; she was pregnant and always tired, or so he thought.

After eating a little, he walked upstairs to their room. He peeked in a little and saw Aadya lying flat on her stomach. He remembered some file he had to make sure was ready for tomorrow's meeting, so he stepped towards his office.

Not even halfway there, he paused. Lying on her stomach?

He stepped back and inside their room. He heard soft groans from Aadya.

"Aadya, you okay?" He softly asked, making his way towards her.

Her soft groans slowly and gradually turned into screams and sobs.

She clutched the silk bedsheet in her fists and screamed in agony, crying out loud.

Tanay was scared.

"Aadya!?"

"God.... Please!" She cried for help.

"Aadya, look at me. Look at me; I'm here. Tell me what's happening. Is your stomach hurting?" As he talked to her, he pulled his phone from his pocket and dialed the ambulance.

He picked her up, making her look at him. Her face... Oh god, her face.

Tear-stained and scrunched up in agony.

"We're going to the hospital, okay? You're gonna be fine. You hear me? You're gonna be fine."

He picked her up, bridal-style, and carried her down the stairs.

"Tanay?" His parents were out of their rooms. "What's going on?"

"It's probably labor. I'm going with her in the ambulance; you guys call the driver and reach there. Contact her family; let them know."

The ambulance arrived just in time. Tanay laid her down on the stretcher and got inside the ambulance, on their way to the hospital.

Two hours later, in front of the same doctor who had been Aadya's gynecologist throughout her pregnancy, the news was finally broken to him.

"Y-You're lying." Tanay's voice cracked.

"I'm sorry," the doctor said, writing some prescriptions. "Your family was well aware of the threat."

"But... she didn't tell me."

"Your mother also knew. She was the one with Aadya when we found out about it. The next visit, Aadya told me she wanted to go through with the pregnancy." She said and handed him the prescriptions. "Get these on your way out. We'll keep her here overnight."

"Can... can I stay with her?"

The doctor blinked, "of course."

Tanay was led to the ward Aadya was in. She was sleeping, probably because of the heavy medication.

He grabbed a stool and sat beside her bed. He placed his hand on her stomach over the cotton bedsheet and stroked it lightly with his thumb.

"I'm sorry." He whispered as a tear rolled down his cheek.

The next morning, he woke up before her and went out to get her food. When he came back, she was sitting up straight, blankly staring into some space while tears rolled down her cheeks.

She didn't notice him being there until he sat down and touched her hand, which startled her.

"Hey." He said. "How are you feeling?"

She didn't say anything.

A while later, the doctor came in to check on her. She wasn't responding to her either.

The nurses carried her away to run some tests. Tanay's parents called him, asking him what happened. He told them they'll talk when he comes home.

When Aadya got back from the test, she sat on the bed like before.

"Uh..." Tanay cleared his throat. "Do you wanna eat something before going home?"

Tanay saw her take a deep breath in. He thought he was finally going to speak to him now. But the words that left her mouth left him speechless.

She slowly turned to him, tears still running down her cheeks and said, "I want... a divorce."