our secret (part two)

Sunset came early today suffocating them with darkness or maybe it was their unsettled mind that was filled with dread.

Ishan and others huddled outside the ICU door and felt the darkness within them as Shubman hadn't gained consciousness yet. Even though the doctor had promised them time and time again there was nothing to worry about, they couldn't stop their vary hearts.

A nurse came through the doors and addressed the people waiting outside. "Those who want to meet the patients can do so now. You have thirty minutes".

Ishan took a step forward and halted when he saw Shubman's parents getting up from their seats. He was having a hard time stopping himself from barging in through those doors. But he had to because he already snatched the morning visit from them.

Siraj saw his miserable face and walked beside Ishan to comfort him. He put a hand on his shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze of reassurance for which Ishan was grateful.

But that only triggered his teammates' disapproval. Earlier when Siraj had returned from the waiting room, no one questioned him about his whereabouts. But when Shahneel had returned with Ishan and Siraj went ahead to sit beside him, that had raised eyebrows.

Siraj was one of the aggressive players of their team and he had beef with most of the opponents. Given Ishan being in their rival team and a batsman who smashed sixes and fours to Siraj's delivery, they never had a game where they didn't engage in a face-off. To see this change in attitude by Siraj was slightly worrying.

The trio had silent conversions and engaged in what felt like teasing Ishan, if Ishan's flushed face was anything to go by. Shubman's parents and his teammates were thoroughly confused but with the more nagging concerns at hand, they did not indulge in their newly discovered friendship.

While Hardik was ready to jump Siraj any second, Virat's reprimand made him hold his horses. They didn't wanna cause a scene in front of all the people waiting for their dear ones in the ICU. But to say Ishan's presence was not bothering Mr. And Mrs. Gill, Virat and Shami would be a lie. They were just better at hiding it.

Shahneel came out before her parents with a huge smile on her face. She didn't know whom to address first or whom to look at but one glance at Ishan and she ran towards him and engulfed him in a tight hug. She then turned towards the others and said, "Shubman's awake. He woke up"

Virat and Hardik hugged each other because they didn't know what else to do while Shami said a silent prayer to the heavens. Ishan was a sobbing mess in Shahneel's hands and she joined him with her share of happy tears.

"I want to go inside. Do we still have time?", Siraj inquired already taking a few steps forward.

"Yeah there's still ten minutes or so"

"Okay", and he vanished through the doors.

The second Shahneel let go of Ishan, he felt his legs go weak, and he sat down on a nearby chair. He wanted to see Shubman too, awake and well with his own eyes but the second the relief washed over him he felt tired, his whole body crushing under the day's influence. Albeit he was disappointed, now he'll have to wait till the next morning to see him.

"Hey, I wanted to see him too. Miya just went in without asking any of us", Hardik complained while Virat nodded his head in agreement.

" Why didn't you protest when he asked to go inside? You guys are not just as fast as Miya, he saw the opportunity and took it", Shami said while laughing at Hardik and Virat's pout.

" I thought he'll come back soon but that idiot is taking so long"

" It's literally just been a minute. What did you expect him to peek in and run back? "