"Dolores," Mara whispered, "Dolores. There's a doctor for you."

Dolores didn't stir. Tristan thought for a moment that they had gotten there too late, and she had already died. He chastised himself for such a thought. Death was never late. He was always on time.

Mara sat on the girl's bed and stroked her hair away from her face. Dolores shifted under the covers.

"Perhaps we should come another time. I would hate to disturb her," Death suggested.

Mara nudged the girl and said her name once more. Dolores moved and slowly opened her eyes. Her eyes were blue, Tristan noted. She took in her surroundings as her mother stroked her bangs off her pale forehead. Dolores sat up in bed noting the strangers in the room.

"Good morning," she said then looked at the clock on the bedside table, "Yes, good morning."

Tristan watched as she greeted Death with a kind smile and then turned to him. She smiled at him and stuck out her hand for him to shake it. He did. Death wasted no time in setting down his medical bag and beginning the examination. He pulled several instruments out of the bag. Mara fetched a chair for him to sit and examine Dolores.

Tristan stood not knowing what he should do. His arms stayed at his side trying not to fidget with his clothing again. That's when Death handed him a file telling him to record the examination process. Finally, this was something Tristan knew how to do. He had overseen death records and grief-keeping before coming here and knew his way around a document. The only problem was Death was moving quickly through the examination.

Tristan opened the file and began scratching down all the details he could record. Death checked Dolores's heart, lungs, eyes, mouth, ears, and reflexes then he stood up from his chair. Tristan watched as Death packed the instruments away.

"Here, Tristan, finish the examination, please. You'll find the examination questions at the bottom of the file," Death said gesturing to the chair. Tristan sat down and looked back to find Death and Mara had left the room. He turned back to Dolores.

"So, how bad is it, Doc?" Dolores joked with a fake frown on her face. Tristan gave her a small smile but found it difficult to joke about her situation. Tristan reopened the file and flipped to the examination sheet. The first one read temperature of the patient. He remembered how to take someone's temperature, but he had to find the right tool. He dug into Death's medical bag to find the glass stick with the numbers.

Dolores sat with the temperature-taker in her mouth. Tristan kept recording details about her appearance and mood. The room was agonizingly quiet until Dolores spoke up.

"You are Dr. Mortimer's assistant? Tristan, correct?"

"Yes," Tristan spoke in a quiet voice.

"Dr. Mortimer seems kind. I hope he stays a while,"
"Yes,"

"Is that all you say? Yes?"

"Y-no." Tristan paused. Dolores smiled at him.

"I'm sorry, I was just trying to talk. I'm sure you talk. I thought if you stuck around a while to help the doctor we might as well get to know each other."

Tristan nodded and cleared his throat trying to finish the examination.

"How much activity do you get? Are you often in bed?" he asked.

Dolores sighed then spoke, "I hardly leave this room. Mama says I'm too weak to even walk down the stairs. That's why I keep the curtains open, so I can see outside."

Tristan nodded and took note of her answer. Her answer had piqued his curiosity.

"You never leave the room? Why can't someone carry you downstairs or outside?"

"I guess they could do that, but they don't. Mama says the weather could make me worse."

"Some sunlight would be good for you," Tristan commented, remembering something about the healing properties of sunshine for the body, "I can ask Dr. Mortimer if he will let you out of the room."

Dolores smiled once more and whispered a thank you.

Tristan had brought the idea to Mara and Death once he left Dolores' bedroom. Mara was against the younger's idea until Death considered it. He told Mara it may be good for her health when the weather is better. More sun. More energy. A chance to get better. Mara finally agreed to the idea not wanting to go against the doctor's expertise.

After Tristan and Death said their goodbyes to the family, Death turned to his apprentice stating, "I think you should take Dolores out tomorrow."

He looked for any sign of disagreement in the apprentice's face.

"She can't handle the stairs yet, but you could carry her outside. I can set up a wheelchair in the garden for her. You can walk her around," Death said.

"What will you do?" Tristan asked.

"I have work to do. I will do the regular examination, but you will handle Dolores for most of the day."
"How can I help her? I'm just an assistant."

"Spend time with her. She has been stuck in that room for a while now and it would be good to have some interaction with another person, especially someone around her age."

Tristan nodded. He thought back to Dolores sitting in her dull room. He pitied her.