11. New Solutions! And More Problems...

"That, my dear y/n, is why we're very lucky The Little Orange Man didn't find this," he leaned over you and Noodle, pressing the top of his cane causing the ball to fall open. Inside the tiny compartment was a minuscule gift box.

"Are you sure this will work?"

"Of course! Never doubt my chocolates, darling," he replied.

"Darling?" You questioned.

He stiffened a bit, "I-I mean y/n. You know, your name does sound a lot like darling!"

"Is that so?"

"Mm-hmm." You looked down to Noodle who was looking the slightest bit peeved by the exchange. It was subtle, but you could tell she still didn't like Willy. And why would she? The girl had no reason to... she hadn't been alone with him for a moment. But maybe, "Well, we better get going!" He started off towards the zoo.

"Wait!" You called after him.

He stopped dead in his tracks, turning towards you, "Yes?"

"I-um..." excuses, excuses, "I'm not feeling so well, I think I should stay back at the laundry!"

His eyes widened in concern and he immediately treaded back to you, "Are you sick?" He checked your temperature with the back of his hand.

"No use, it's freezing out here," you pointed out.

"Oh no, that's why! I'm so sorry for bringing you out in the cold. You aren't even wearing a proper coat! What was I thinking? I'll stay behind, we can—"

"Willy," his name caught his attention in an instant, "I insist, I'll stay behind while you and Noodle... um..."

"Milk a giraffe?" He suggested.

"Yes. And don't worry, I'll be right here at the laundry when you come back."

He simply stared into your eyes for a moment before mumbling a quiet, "Okay."

"I promise to tell you all about it when we get back!" Noodle exclaimed, pulling you in to a hug.

"Careful, wouldn't want you to get sick too," you warned, playing with her fluffy hair. She soon let go and the two parted while you turned back to the laundry.

Willy was right, it was chilly out. And, of course, you didn't have a coat. Just some bags and lost laundry you'd sewn together on a whim over your dress. Mrs. Scrubitt never thought to get you anything because you rarely went on runs with Noodle.

You stared into the shiny snow dusted streets. Flecks of ice would twist and turn through branches and passerby, landing in little patches on the stone floor. After taking a moment to breathe and enjoy the view, you tugged on your scarf and sped back to the laundry. The last thing you'd want is to actually get sick and make the poor chocolatier even more worried.

"Ugh, c'mon... got it!" You pulled over the grate, doing your best to be inconspicuous. If a single person caught sight of you, they'd think you were sneaking in. Well, in technicality you were sneaking in, but it wasn't for nefarious reasons.

Stepping in, you found Abacus reading from a brunswick green bound book. Lottie and Piper were discussing something in the corner—to be fair, Piper was doing the majority of the talking, but you got the idea. Larry was entertaining himself with taunting Tiddles, occasionally striding over to the ladies and adding an awful quip to their conversation.