07. Silver Linings

All the guests retreated into their rooms. Willy stayed behind a moment before entering his. He looked back at you for a second and you followed him into his own room. You trailed behind him before stopping in the doorway. He looked around wearily. The first thing to catch his sight were the buckets on the ground, catching streams of yellow water from the leaky ceiling, then a dirtied sink, a small wooden desk, an even smaller bed, a singular flickering lamp, and a window.

The room wasn't much better than when you first "fixed it up" a few days prior. It was just before Willy had arrived, Mrs. Scrubitt told you something along the lines of new boats readying to enter the dock. How she got all of this information, you had no idea, but she made sure to make you think you were never in the right to question her.

The room was nearly ankle deep in groggy waters. You decided to get to the root of the problem and found some empty rusted buckets in the staff quarters. Placing those under the spots helped drastically, but you still had to mop up the artificial creek on the floor. The mattress had sharp brittle springs sticking out from it, something you—sadly—only found out after attempting to sit on it. You patiently patched up the holes while standing the entire time, but you knew it would still be a pain to sleep on. The leaky sink was easily fixed with the help of Piper, and while she did that, you found a new lightbulb for the ceiling lamp. Before then, the lights didn't flicker, no, they didn't turn on at all. After the floor finally dried, which took the better part of three days, you swept it up as best as you possibly could. It was still stained from years of water damage, but at least the room was somewhat habitable. Emphasis on somewhat. By then, you had ran out of time, and, unbeknownst to you, Willy had arrived.

Even then, the sight Willy witnessed was not a kind one. He looked out the window after carefully avoiding the buckets you so gingerly left behind. You had a feeling he was so doubtful he didn't even realize you were right behind him. Noodle walked up to you with a watering can of slop. She put on a pitiful smile. Whether it was for you or Willy, you couldn't tell. It was then that you realized you hadn't even told her about what conspired in the Galleries Gourmet. You always spoke to her about every interesting sight you saw outside, and Willy's chocolate was the epitome of interesting. "Room service." Willy's reflection in the window smiled at Noodle's voice. "Told you to read the small print."

"Slight problem with that," he muttered.

"You can't read, can you?" Your eyes widened. How could you have just realized. He always seemed so literate, it felt impossible, but it made so much sense.

"I focused my studies almost exclusively on chocolate," his voice was quiet and bitter.

"I see."

"For everything else, I've relied on the kindness of strangers... like you, y/n," he said, turning to face you. Again with his never ending gratitude.

"And look where that got you: the staff quarters," Noodle deadpanned. "You've got a bed."

Willy walked to the bed, about to sit on it, "I wouldn't do that if I were—" he perked up at your warning, but that was only after the bed collapsed.

"Woah!"

"—you," you finished.

"You had a bed. Desk, and a wash basin/toilet."

"Ugh," he groaned in disgust,

"The water comes in two temperatures: cold... and colder," she stated matter-of-factly, filling up her tiny cup with the "colder" water. "How much do you owe them?" She asked with a little smug smile.

"Ten thousand."

"Count yourself lucky. I owe thirty."

"What? How do you owe them money? I thought they found you down a laundry chute," he said, getting up from the disassembled bed.