02. Come for the Night, Stay Forever!

You took off your laundry bag "coat" and threw it in with the rest of the pile. You rushed upstairs and listened closely to what was going on.

You could hear Mrs. Scrubitt's crude voice all the way from behind a wall. "If that's you, Bleacher, you better have that gin!"

"Oh, I've got something better than gin, Mrs. Scrubitt. A guest." So he did manage to get the poor man.

"Oh, well, why didn't you say? Come on in, sir!" She said with oleaginous charm. You heard the door creak open and two sets of footsteps approach.

"Welcome to Scrubitt and Bleacher, guest home and laundry. You make yourself at home, warm your cockles by the fire. Gin?"

"Oh, er..." the man mumbled.

"No," you whispered to yourself. Your parents would often tell you that the fire and gin costed them an extra five years.

"Y/n!" Why'd she have to choose you?

"Y-yes?"

"Where are you? Get over here!" Mrs. Scrubitt yapped. You didn't want the man to know you were stuck here.

You tried lowering your voice so he didn't recognize you, "Um, eh hem, I'm busy, can Noodle do it?" You could almost hear her fury.

"Yes, Noodle can do it, but I want you to fetch our guest a glass of gin! And what's wrong with your voice? You sound like a toad. If you're sick, I'm going to—"

"Yes, Mrs. Scrubitt!" You interrupted, returning your voice to normal. Not like you were fooling anyone anyways.

You grabbed the leftover gin and the smallest glass you could find. Maybe it would cost him less, besides he looked like he hadn't touched alcohol ever, forget about Bleacher's gin.

"Thank you, Mrs. Scrubitt. You and your husband have been most kind," you heard him say.

"Husband?! Oh, you'd love that, wouldn't you?"

"No," went Bleacher's gruff voice. You already knew about Bleacher's awful crush on Mrs. Scrubitt. His lies weren't any better than his effort.

You pressed your back against the doorway. Hoping and praying the young man wouldn't recognize you. As soon as you were in sight, you sped over to him. "Here," you muttered, handing him a drink with your head down.

"Do I know you?" He asked, twisting a bit to get a glimpse of your face.

"No." And with that, you were gone.

Mrs. Scrubitt drank with the man, and—before you got the chance to leave—you heard a gasp. "That's extremely powerful stuff!" You let out a chuckle and were soon out of sight.

You peered in through a hatch behind the counter. "You can run cars on that! Now, what can I do for you? A room, is it?" She said in her quick know-it-all accent.

"Well yes, but er..."

"Mr. Wonka is temporarily embarrassed," Bleacher finished for him. Wonka? Was that his name? Or, maybe his last name. You shook your head, you were thinking a bit too hard about the wrong thing. Temporarily embarrassed?

"You don't say!" Even after so many guests, Mrs Scrubitt was still a horrendous actor.

"I'm afraid it's true, Mrs. Scrubitt, but it's all about to change." The mysterious magician said cockily.

"Oh yeah?"

"See, I'm something of a magician, inventor, and chocolate maker. I've spent the past seven years traveling the world perfecting my craft, and first thing tomorrow at the Galleries Gourmet, I plan to unveil my most astonishing creation yet. Prepare to be amazed as I present to you—" you all looked at Mr. Wonka in anticipation.

Reaching into his hat, he pulled out, "A rabbit?" Mrs. Scrubitt asked in confusion.

"Hm?" He hummed, until setting his eyes on the rabbit itself. "Oh, no, not him." He delved into his hat once again and pulled out a dozen carrots, staring at them, baffled, "That's for his tea." You stifled a giggle at his puzzlement. Rummaging through it a last time, he pulled out a long string of colorful handkerchieves. "It's in here somewhere," he said, beginning to reach into it before being interrupted by Mrs. Scrubitt.

"Er... don't you worry, Mr. Wonka, I can see you're a man of great ingenuity and we've got just the thing for you: The Entrepreneurial Package. It's two sovereigns a night, but you don't have to pay until six tomorrow. That give you long enough to earn a few pennies?"

"More than enough, Mrs. Scrubitt!"

"Then just sign here and we're done."

You had to intervene somehow. But if Mrs. Scrubitt caught you, you wouldn't last another night. You opened the hatch fully and Mr. Wonka caught sight of you.

"Hey—" he started. You placed a finger to your mouth, urgently, and he seemed to understand, eyes not leaving yours once.

You pointed at the form and then made an "X" with your arms. This time, he didn't get the message, just staring at you confused almost long enough for Mrs. Scrubitt to catch on. From beside you, brave little Noodle whispered, "Read the small print!"

"I beg your pardon?" He asked. Your eyes widened as Mrs. Scrubitt snapped towards you two, cued in by the man's confused apology. She gave the pair a vicious look.

"That'll be all, you two!" And the hatch slammed shut.

All you could hope now, was that he took Noodle's words seriously.

~•~

If only he could.

~•~

890 words
"Vote for more, comment your thoughts, and I'll see you next chapter!

Edit: if you're wondering, I added the whole rabbit thing from the script which isn't in the movie because I thought it was funnier"

- Coffee