01. One Silver Sovereign

You walked down a lane not too far from Scrubitt & Bleacher's. Noodle would kill you if you were out too late, but you were just so engrossed in the bustling city, now reduced to a dark foggy riverside.

While on your way, you spotted a peculiar looking man. He sang with joy and disappointment all the same,

"In this city anyone can be successful,
if they've talent and work hard or so they say.
But they didn't mention it would be so stressful, just to make a dozen silver sovereigns last more than one day!"

He wore a tattered waistcoat, bright scarf, old hat, and fancied a battered suitcase.

"Could you spare a sovereign for a place to sleep, love?" Ducking behind a pillar, you watched as he graciously offered a woman with a baby three sovereigns.

"Of course, take all you need." She took two and hurried off after the exchange. It seemed you could trust him, probably some aspiring young dreamer.

"I've got... one silver sovereign in my pocket..." he tossed his last sovereign in the air, catching it in his pocket just for it to fall through a hole in the lining and down a drain. He sighed followed by a smile, "And a hatful of dreams!"

He sat on a bench and you approached him cautiously. "Do you mind if I take a seat here?"

"Yes. Wait, yes? No? I don't mind at all!" He said, smiling through his bought of confusion.

You watched carefully as he put down his suitcase as to create a makeshift table. He took off his hat and pulled a candle from it. If that wasn't strange enough, all it took was a blow for the candle to light itself. He continued on with similar antics and glanced at you with a cheeky grin every little while.

"A magician?"

"Not quite. Would you like a glass?" He asked, pouring what seemed to be hot chocolate from a teapot in his hat.

"No, thank you."

"I insist!" He reached back into his hat and then turned back to you in realization, "I only have one glass. Sorry, I tend to travel on my own."

"Oh, it's alright."

"Here," he offered you a sip from his own. Reluctantly, you took it.

"Mmm, it's amazing!"

He chuckled, "Thanks, it's my own recipe."

"So, that's why you're so insistent," you said smugly.

"No, you looked like you needed it."

"Are you calling me scrawny!" You said, pretending to be offended.

His eyes widened at your sudden outburst, "No, no! You just don't seem to be dressed for the cold." You looked down at your dress, nothing but a white laundry bag was used as your makeshift coat over your usual. You were actually mildly surprised that he hadn't yet judged you for your lack of wardrobe.

"What are you doing here anyways?" You asked.

He thought for a moment before smiling lovingly into the darkness. "I've traveled for seven years perfecting my chocolate. Now it's time to show the world my recipes," he looked back at you before something else caught his attention. "Oh, hello there!" You looked down to see a familiar Bull Mastiff. Quickly covering your face with your white hood, you retreated to the edge of the bench.

"Shoo, shoo!" He meagerly tried making it go away just to be met with more aggression towards his trousers.

Then, you heard a familiar voice, "Stop, sit!" It was really time to get out of there. You placed a sovereign in the strange man's hand before disappearing in the darkness.

Watching the exchange, you let out a chuckle at his confusion towards where you went and the now frozen chocolate. And then, you left.

~•~

Noodle was worried sick and immediately hugged you as if you were all she had. Before any scolds could be exchanged, you rushed upstairs. Noodle followed you, confused by your random paranoia.

You had to stop from that man getting stuck here.

~•~

662 words

"First chapter done! Vote and comment for more, and I'll see you next chapter!"

- Coffee