S O U L M A T E S

AN: I am going to preface this chapter with a hugeeee apology. At this point you guys get that I am a victim of extreme procrastination and I cannot believe I've left you (any myself) waiting this long for an update on Delilah and Felix. let me tell you...a lot has happened while we've been away. But that's all to come. For now, please accept my apology and enormous thanks to all of my consistent readers who make this story come to life. I adore you all. Enjoy...

~

We were girls together by Delaney Bailey<3 A song choice I'd like to dedicate to you and your soulmates x 

Delilah had stomped out of the coastal cottage an hour ago and found herself sitting on a damp sand dune overlooking the cornish shore as it tumbled in washes of grey and white, sea salt spraying in an angry hiss. She wasn't really sure how she got there, her mind in other places, turning over other thoughts until she was dizzy with it all. The icy sea breeze ran through body and turned it red hot, boiling the salt inside her veins until it scratched at her skin in little red hives dotted across her chest like a rash. She felt everything and nothing all at once, so full of raging emotion she was numb.

She looked down toward her protruding belly beneath her hoodie and bent over, nearly able to rest her forehead on it. She was scrunched up like a ball as her hair struck violently in the wind against the empty space around her. Vast. Empty. Space. And yet it was so full. She daren't look up because if she did all she would see is Felix. Her and Felix. Running across the sand towards him as Venetia chased her with a blue plastic sand-castle bucket filled with chilling sea water. She was running to him, scrambling to get to his embrace because he would always shield her, hugging her tightly and turning her away from the harshness of the water, shouldering the discomfort as V hurled the bucket over him with a hysterical laugh. Delilah didn't feel it then, the pull of him, the weight of meaning behind his protection of her. She was too young then, but now she understood. She knew Felix now, knew what his protection meant, how it smelt, how it tasted and how much she needed it to feel alive.

Delilah wishes she didn't know all of this, all of him. She had thought for a while, back at Saltburn, that maybe she did not know him at all. Maybe it was the wine and cigarette smoke and the hot wax of the candles that blurred his harsh lines, lines that ran across his character making it possible for him to leave her how he did, with nothing. But here, on the soggy sand dune in Cornwall, cradled into a ball over the skin that protected their child, she knew Felix Catton. She knew that despite his strong arms and tall frame, he was weak and small inside. She knew his infectious laugh, contagious smile, his spreadable mouth and how it spread hers. He was a disease and he had infected her. Every part of her was riddled with him.

Arms spread around Delilah's back, blonde wavy hair fell through the triangular gap of her arms as they were locked around her knees. Warm wet tears melted through the fabric of Delilah hoodie and onto her bare back. Venetia.

'I'm so sorry, Lilah.' She whispered, her voice muffled by hair and wind. 'He's my brother-' Venetias gentle and defeated sobs were more audible than her words. 'I had to help him. But I swear- I never knew where he was.' And so the one and only lie Venetia had ever told Delilah was unveiled.

'I forgive you.' Delilah whispered into her knees, just loud enough for her best friend to hear. Because how could she not forgive her. Delilah knew now what it meant to love Felix, that it came with hidden sacrifices and sealed lips and darkness. She couldn't blame Venetia for Felix's darkness because although they shared the same blood they did not share that. The darkness. Venetia was a ray of light within the thunder of her family, forever staying quiet by will or by force it didn't matter, she stayed silent for them all. Delilah did not want Venetia, her best friend, her angel girl, to be silent for her too because even if everything else in the world was mute, they would still hear each other.