L A B Y R I N T H

Ghouls by We Are Scientists <3

~

Delilah's eyes slowly pried open revealing a pitch black room, nothing visible but the almost golden shine that reflected off of Venetias icy hair. The alarm clock by the side of the bed revealed it was 7:30pm meaning dinner would be in about half an hour. It wouldn't just be any dinner because it never just is dinner at the manor, it's supper, it's elegance, it's a seating plan, it's a four course meal with wine pairings, teas and coffees to finish, it's everything but just dinner. So Delilah woke V up and they both reluctantly parted to get cleaned up in time.

Delilah soaked her body in the piping hot water that ran from the gold head of the shower before lathering up a fig and vanilla scented body wash, most likely from Harrods somewhere, gliding it across her body with a cream loofa. Before drying off form her luxurious shower, Delilah doused herself in coconut oil, a trick Venetia taught her to keep perfectly glowing skin in the faded antique lights of the manor; she put some in her hair to and scrunched it upwards to ensure he curls stayed intact despite being damp.

Rushing to get ready, she pulled on a pale blue satin maxi dress that fell just below her ankles, complementing her small white, kitten heeled and pointed toe shoes. With the dress being backless it was impossible to wear any sort of bra so Delilah pulled out a cropped white cashmere cardigan that had assorted coins for buttons- something her and V had found in the local Oxfam a couple of years ago. Placing some gold plated diamond studs in her ear piercings and throwing her hair up into a messy but still presentable (enough) bun before rubbing some rose lipstick and smudging some liner onto her thickly mascaraed lashes. Knocking on Venetias door and collecting her, the two girls made their way down to the formal dining room arm in arm chatting about their plans of sunbathing and playing mermaids in the lake all day since it was due to be so hot.

The dinner was delicious as always: Whipped goats cheese salad to start, Seafood linguine for mains and a brilliant trifle for dessert as requested. All followed by lots of wine, many cigarettes and naturally topped off with a selection of cheese and crackers.

As the four of them dug into cheese Venetia rose from the table and briskly walked out of the room. She was headed to the bathroom. She'll be back in a few minutes and so everyone always makes odd conversation as they try to cover up her wretches. Delilah has tried to help V with her eating but it's never really worked, it was more of a habit than anything else now and everyone was pretty much convinced that she couldn't eat without vomiting- whether she wanted to or not.

As a loud wretch echoed down the hallway and through the crack of the door that led into the dining room, Elsbeth coughed slightly and set down her solid silver knife and fork. 'So, Lilah hows that lovely Henry of yours?'

Delilah gulped, 'Gone' she replied.

'Well good, I never liked him. Did you, dear?' She asked james

'Who darling?'

'Henry'

'The Henries? What about them?'

'No darling, not the Henries. Henry- he spent summer with us last year, Darling.' Elsbeth prodded her husband's memory while sipping on her flute of champagne.

'Oh Henry, good chap' James replied before Elsbeth shot him a stern look, eyes wide and lips tight, 'Good at shooting i mean, ghastly individual on a personal level, of course'

'Of course' Elsbeth replied, smiling and reaching a hand out to Delilha to which she took and smiled back.

The three took a gulp of ridiculously expensive Spanish red wine almost in unison, all while smiling at one another rather awkwardly. Elsbeth seemed so perfect, so unaffected by everything. Delilah always thought either her life has been so appalling that she's blocked it all out to stay sane or her life has been so appallingly boring that she really is just sane. Either way Delilah both envied and hated it about the woman who became closer to her than her own mother.