Sweet and Strong

Dazzled by the sunlight, she hardly noticed the dark chasm below, until a stone dislodged itself from under her feet and shattered its quartz in the unseen depths of the ravine.

Just in time, she was pulled to safety by rugged hands, feeling her heart galloping against his, the folds of her yellow silk sari beating against his rough leather waist-coat, studded with steel.

'Don't step so close to the edge, love of my life... ' the clove-spice of his breath melting the icy hand of fear that momentarily gripped her, the fear of losing him.

Living with Shivaji was living on the edge, it was that very nature that drew Saibai to him, right since they were children. Dicing with death, the Maratha warrior had swiftly become a thorn in the side of the Moslem invaders who had destroyed and demeaned so much of the motherland. Every fort that Shivaji had won back by strategy or strength was at a cost, not least the sleepless nights she spent when he was away fighting. And now especially...her soft hand gently covering the rising curve of her figure...but it was too soon to burden her beloved with the news, given he had much on his mind right now.

Regaining her queenly nonchalance, Saibai leaned back in Shivaji's embrace, stroking his glossy beard, and queried: 'Samrat! Am I going to get a tour of this famous fort of yours or not? Look, I've even got my sari draped specially for the saddle!' A chorus of neighs from the tethered Sahyadri steeds affirmed her mock-petulant demand.

A risky ride around the narrow paths, snaking around the mountain fort, swirled in mists but love has winged feet!

The laughter of the royal couple mingled, his rocky rumble mingling with her crystalline cadence, a scene that made the sunset blush deeper, undaunted by Fort Purandhar's stony countenance.

---

A/N

A totally imaginary romantic moment between Saibai and Shivaji - liberties taken with the period/historical details!

This has been previously published in 'Snap-Shorts' but added here as it will be part of on-going one-shots. And a big 'thank-you' for those who already voted and commented!