Chapter 4

R E M I ||

Waking up today, I was so excited to get to work. This was such a huge opportunity for me and I'm determined to make this work.

The notice that my apartment manager, Mr. Leonard gave me yesterday says I have to be out of my apartment in three days if I don't come up with the $4,371 that I owe for back rent, utilities and late fees.

I already knew that I wouldn't be able to come up with the money seeing how I only have $182 dollars in my bank account and I won't actually get paid from my new job for the next maybe month and even then, my paycheck wouldn't be enough to cover my fees, so I've been trying to mentally prepare myself to live out of my car.

It's not like Stella and I haven't done it before.

When we first drove down to Los Angeles, we lived out of my car for an entire month before landing enough money to move into these raggedy, ran down apartments.

So since I've done it before and survived just fine, I know that I can do it again until I can save up enough money to get another apartment or a hotel room.

Walking out of the bathroom, I go over to my floor length mirror and look over my outfit for my first day.

I wasn't pleased with the way that I looked right now because I didn't exactly look professional or like the assistant to a big shot CEO, but I didn't have any quarters for the laundry room, so I couldn't wash my nicer clothes before my first day.

So this would have to do.

Giving Stella a kiss on top of her cute little head, I grab my keys, wallet and cellphone then walk through my small space of misery and out of the front door.

Closing it and locking it behind me, I rush towards my little broken down stupid car and start my journey towards Pierce Inc.

I hadn't eaten anything yet because for one, I didn't have any money to buy food right now and two, I didn't have the time before I had to clock in at 9am sharp like Jaxxon Pierce told me to yesterday. So I would just have to settle for being hungry until lunchtime and hopefully I can find something to eat at work.

Pulling up to the super tall and sleek, black building lined with beautiful windows that belonged to Pierce Inc, I park on the street because I notice that the parking garage needed a key card to access it.

Getting out of the car, looking both ways before I cross the busy street and heading towards the front doors, I walk inside and smile at the same receptionist lady from yesterday.

She kind of gave me a weird look, almost like she didn't expect me to get the job or maybe it was because of how unprofessional I looked today, but either way, she didn't look happy to see me and seemed like the judgemental type.

So I put my head down and make my way towards the same elevators that started my entire nightmarish first impression of one of the richest men in the state.

I prayed the entire time that I was on that damn elevator for it to get me to the fifth floor without issue and the moment that the doors opened, I practically flew off the damn thing and let out a huge sigh of relief.

After taking a few minutes to get my life together, I opened the glass doors to the amazing floor that I would work on.

There were two receptionists in this area and they both smiled at me, obviously a lot nicer than the girl on the first floor. So I smiled back and walked up to the large white desk.

"Hi, my name is Remi Caddell, it's my first day. I'm Mr. Pierce's personal assistant."

"Oh yeah," One of the girl's smile widens as she types away at her computer. "Mr. Pierce sent out an email to let all front desk staff know that you would be joining us for your first day today. I can show you to his office."