Chapter TEN

As he was sitting in front of the open window of his office, John was hopeful that the findings his team had made would lead to a vaccine. It was the only thing that kept him going. The vaccine and the thought that his family was on its way.

If all was good, Annie would be here in two, three days. He couldn't wait for her to arrive. It had been a little more than two years since he saw her, since he took her in his arms.

He took his cellphone from his lab coat and looked at it. Wondering if there was still a network. There was only one way to know. He dialed Mr. Parker's number, knowing that Annie had his phone and he hoped that her phone would be open.

He closed his eyes and put the phone to his ear. It rang once. His heart started to race and his mouth was suddenly dry.

"John? Is that you John?" It was her voice.

"Annie. Yes it's me. Where are you?"

"Oh, John. We are in a small city, outside of Philadelphia. We are stuck. The car just got a flat tire and I don't know what to do." And she started to cry. John felt helpless. "What do you mean, you are stuck?"

"We got into a situation and while we were trying to escape, we got a flat tire." she had stopped crying, but she was hiccupping. "Are you safe now? Where are you exactly?" The clock on the wall was indicating that it was eight thirty. Darkness was coming and it was bad that she was stuck with the baby, in a world filled with zombies.

"I don't know exactly. And we are now on feet."

"I'm coming get you, Annie," he said, opening the drawer of his desk and taking his gun. He was now checking if he had enough amno.

"John... You have to stay safe. I don't know how long I'll stay here, or how I'll leave. I need to know that you are waiting for me." "I need to know what happened to you. I need to know if you if... that you didn't abandoned me." She whispered the last few words. John knew that she was afraid of his answer. She was afraid that he would tell her that he left her on purpose. But he didn't.

"Annie, I..." There was just so much to talk about, so many things to say. "We will talk when we see each other. I promise."

He suddenly heard Annie swear. Something she never did before. things had indeed change.

"Annie? Are you okay?"

"John," she whispered, "I have to go. I'll find a way to contact you." And she hung up.