Chapter 6

Y/N'S POV 🌸🌾

Alone in the clinic with Jake, I mustered up the courage to speak.

" Um, Jake... Could you... roll up your pants? I need to check your leg." I asked.

Jake raised an eyebrow, a smirk playing on his lips.

" Oh, sure. Or you could do it. Might be more fun that way."

I realized there was no avoiding it. I hesitated for a moment before awkwardly rolling up Jake's pant leg, revealing his injured leg. It's clear that he was in pain, but he tried to mask it with humor. Typical Jake.

"Don't look so pityingly at me, princess." He rolled his eyes.

I set myself to work, cleaning Jake's wound. He winced at the pain, causing me to pause for a moment.

" Sorry, this might sting a bit." I said in a low voice, while still applying the antiseptic on his wound.

" Ah, just a flesh wound. I've had worse." He smirked, making me roll my eyes.

"So, what happened out there?" I asked.

He looked at me, a hint of defiance in his eyes.

" Why should I tell you?" He asked.

I raised an eyebrow, not expecting such a blunt response.

" I'm just trying to understand what's going on." I replied in a low voice.

He hesitated for a moment, then shrugged.

" Suit yourself. Just don't expect me to spill my life story to you." He forcefully smiled.

I went silent after this. If he doesn't want to tell me, so be it.

" I was heading towards Atlanta, trying to get out of this town. Thought I might find something better out there. But then I saw it... this massive mushroom cloud in the distance. Next thing I know, I'm swerving to avoid a car that came out of nowhere. Ended up crashing into a tree. " He explained.

"That sounds terrifying. " I replied.

" You have no idea. One moment, everything was normal, and the next, it felt like the world was ending. I was lucky to walk away with just a few broken bones. " He laughed.

" life's full of surprises, isn't it? You think you're heading in one direction, and then... bam, everything changes." He added.

" What do you think caused the mushroom cloud? " I asked.

" I don't know. Probably just some kind of blast. " He answered.

" A blast? Like an explosion? " I asked.

"Yeah, something like that. Maybe it was a chemical plant or something. " He shrugged.

"That's scary to think about. " I muttered loud enough for him to hear.

"Yeah, but what can you do? Nothing, right?" He scoffed.

I  noticed clouds forming in the sky, a sight that seems out of place given the recent events. I walked over to the window, gazing out at the darkening sky.

" What's the matter?" He asked.

" It's just... the clouds. They're... unusual." I answered.

Jake joined me at the window, looking up at the sky.

" They look like normal clouds to me." He scoffed.

He looked at the clouds again. I frustrated by his lack of observation, facepalmed myself.