fam reunions #awkies

Start from the beginning

Thalia spat at him.

The General chuckled darkly. "So much for old friends. And you, Zoë. It's been a long time. How is my little traitor? I will enjoy killing you."

"Do not respond," Artemis said, pushing herself up off the ground. "Do not challenge him." 

"Wait a second," Percy said. "You're Atlas?"

The General cast a disdainful glance in Percy's direction. "So, even the stupidest of heroes can finally figure something out."

Aria would have found the comment laughable if she wasn't on the verge of collapse.

"Yes, I am Atlas, the general of the Titans and terror of the gods. Congratulations. I will kill you presently, as soon as I deal with this wretched girl."

"You're not going to hurt Zoë," Percy said. "I won't let you."

The General sneered. "You have no right to interfere, little hero. This is a family matter."

The son of Poseidon frowned. "A family matter?"

Oh, shit.

"Yes," Zoë said bleakly. "Atlas is my father."

The horrible thing was: Aria could see the family resemblance. Atlas had the same regal expression as Zoë, the same cold, proud look in his eyes that Zoë sometimes got when she was mad, though on him it just looked evil. He was all the things she had originally disliked about Zoë, with none of the good she'd come to appreciate.

"Let them go," Zoë demanded.

Atlas walked closer to Aria, a conniving grin on his face. "It seems this little thing took the sky on her own terms. Foolish girl. Perhaps you'd like to take the sky for her, then? Be my guest."

Percy looked about ready to speak, but the daughter of Apollo urged out a small, "No."

The god smirked. He knelt next to Aria and tried to touch her face, but the girl bit at him, almost taking off his fingers.

"Hoo-hoo,'" Atlas chuckled. "You see, daughter? The girl likes her new job. I think I will have all the Olympians take turns carrying my burden, once Lord Kronos rules again, and this is the centre of our palace. It will teach those weaklings some humility." 

Aria looked at Annabeth, who was desperately trying to tell Percy something by motioning her head towards Luke. The girl hadn't noticed before, but something about her best friend had changed. Her hair was now streaked with grey.

Thalia mumbled something to Percy about death. 

Lovely. 

"I don't understand," Percy protested. "Why can't Aria just let go of the sky?"

Atlas laughed. "How little you understand, young one. This is the point where the sky and the earth first met, where Ouranos and Gaia first brought forth their mighty children, the Titans. The sky still yearns to embrace the earth. Someone must hold it at bay, or else it would crush down upon this place, instantly flattening the mountain and everything within a hundred leagues. Once you have taken the burden, there is no escape." Atlas smiled. "Unless someone else takes it from you."

He approached Percy and Thalia, studying the two of them. "So these are the best heroes of the age, eh? Not much of a challenge."

"Fight us," Percy said. "And let's see."

"Have the gods taught you nothing? An immortal does not fight a mere mortal directly. It is beneath our dignity. I will have Luke crush you instead."

"So you're another coward," the son of Poseidon spat out, his hand curling around Riptide so hard that his knuckles were turning white.