percy goes pearl diving

˚₊‧ ໒꒱ ‧₊˚

BOOK ONE

CHAPTER FIFTEEN.

❝ good riddance, is all i can say. ❞

ARRIVING IN Santa Monica at sunset, the group was greeted by the gentle spell of golden hues casting a warm glow over the pier. Couples strolled along the wooden boards, and the joyful sounds of children on carnival rides filled the air. As they walked towards the edge of the water, the rhythmic waves lapping against the aged beams provided a soothing backdrop.

"So what do we do now? Does a talking fish come up to us?" Aria asked, scanning their surroundings for any signs of the mystical encounter.

Percy, seemingly drawn by the sea, stepped into the water, the waves almost beckoning him. Aria observed as he theatrically continued to stride forward, the water reaching his waist.

"Does he think he's Moana or something?" she quipped to Annabeth.

"Who's Moana?" Annabeth inquired.

"Oh right. I forgot you were low key robbed of your childhood..."

Annabeth laughed and then shrugged.

"My fault," Aria finished, resuming her watching over of Percy.

"Please tell me he's not going to put his head-" Grover exclaimed, interrupted by Percy submerging himself in the water and vanishing.

"Good riddance is all I can say," Aria remarked, though a hint of genuine concern lingered within her. She was only worried for Grover, that was all.

"Has Percy told you about his dreams?" Annabeth asked the remaining duo, and Grover nodded. Aria shook her head, feeling a twinge of unease at the idea of Percy confiding in Annabeth about dreams. Was there something going on between them that she wasn't aware of? The notion left a knot in her stomach, though she couldn't pin point why.

Annabeth continued. "He's been having these dreams about a 'faceless voice' that claimed to be working for someone powerful? I mean I used to think it was Hades but now i'm not so sure."

Aria nodded in agreement. "Yeah it was weird that they were asking for 'it' when they presumably already have the bolt. Why were they asking for something they already have? It doesn't make sense."

No one answered her, each individual lost in thought. Their deadline was just hours away and Aria could already feel the pressure rising. She had never done exceptionally well with anxiety. It was a constant battle in the forefront, and back of her mind. Everything caused her to worry. Everything caused her to overthink. To be quite frank, she was tired of it. She was tired of needing constant reassurance, she was tired of worrying about every single aspect of her life, she was tired of crying over a slight change of tone. She was just tired. She was tired of this quest, tired of silently crying herself to sleep worrying over which one of her friends would get injured tomorrow, she was tired of Percy-

Speaking of the devil, the boy rose out of the water, his fists clenched around something in his hand.

Aria rose from the sand, brushing it off her pants. Percy walked over towards them, a happy grin on his face. He was clearly very proud of his achievements.