Prologue + Chapter 1

Start from the beginning

" Well, Mary's Diner has some rooms upstairs. Mary's a good woman, she'll take care of you." Local 1 replied.

I thanked them and headed towards Mary's Diner. Inside, I find Mary behind the counter, wiping down the tables.

" Can I help you, dear?" The woman asked, which I think was Mary.

"Yes, I heard you have rooms upstairs. I was wondering if you had any available?" I asked, trying to test if people here are good or not.

" Why, yes, we do. Just one at the moment. Are you planning on staying long?" She asked.

" I'm not sure yet. But Jericho seems like a nice town, so who knows? Thanks for the gesture but I already bought a house in here." I smiled, knowing I was here for a fresh start.

Mary smiles.

I sat at the counter of Mary's Diner, sipping on a cup of coffee as Mary bustled around behind the counter.

" How's the coffee, dear?" Mary asked, smiling.

" It's great, thank you. This place has a real charm to it." I answered honestly.

" Well, thank you. We may not have much, but we try to make everyone feel at home here in Jericho." She smiled.

" It definitely feels that way. Everyone I've met so far has been so welcoming." I told her.

" That's Jericho for you. We may be a small town, but we've got big hearts." She grinned.

" I can see that. It's a nice change of pace from the city." I answered, looking around and admiring the place.

" City life can be fast-paced and impersonal. Here in Jericho, we take the time to get to know our neighbors." She stated facts.

" That's something I could get used to." I laughed.

" I'm sure you'll fit right in. Speaking of which, have you found a place to stay?" She asked.

"Yes, actually. I told you I got a house here. It's not much, but it's home for now." I told her

"Oh, I forgot. Well, I'm glad to hear that. If you ever need anything, you just let me know." She smiled.

" Thank you, Mary. That means a lot." I widely smiled.

Mary smiled warmly and continued her work, leaving me to enjoy my coffee and soak in the atmosphere.

I was chatting with Mary when a guy entered and  took a seat next to me, at first I didn't  notice him at all.

" Hey, Mary. Can I get a cup of coffee, please?" The guy next to me called out Mary.

" Of course, Eric. Coming right up." She smiled, brightly.

Is she always nice to everyone?

Mary poured a cup of coffee for Eric and sets it down in front of him.

" Hi there. I'm Eric. I don't think we've met before." The guy sitting next to me suddenly spoke up.

I  looked up, slightly surprised, and returned his smile.

" Hi, Eric. I'm Y/n. I'm new in town." I nervously replied.

" Nice to meet you, Y/n. What brings you to Jericho?" He greeted me.

" I decided to stay for a while. It seems like a nice town." I answered.

" It is. You'll find that Jericho grows on you. Are you planning on staying long?" He asked, looking curious.

" I'm not sure yet.  Everyone here has been so welcoming, I think I could get used to it." I chuckled.

" Well, I'm glad to hear that. If you need anything, just let me know. I'm always happy to help out a newcomer." Eric smiled.