"You did offer to be my chaperone," the young lady quipped with a sweet smile, causing the older woman to click her tongue in mock irritation.

"Your tongue can be very smart at times." She then turned to the man standing beside her. "Edward, you have been very quiet. Have you met any women here that have caught your attention yet?"

He glanced towards the lady and shrugged his shoulders. "Perhaps or maybe not. I am still deciding."

Lady Topham's eyes gleamed at the thought of a bit of gossip. "Oh, how exciting! Do tell us who the lucky lady is?"

Edward smiled. "Your Ladyship could certainly not expect me to be so open about my affairs. You will discover who it is in due course."

She twisted her lips in annoyance before fluttering her fan lightly upon her face. "You are no fun at all, Edward."

"So I have been told."

It was as her brother was speaking that Cordelia noticed a gentleman in the far corner of the room, and her eyebrows rose when she recognised him to be Lord Tilbur. The gentleman had been called on business to town several days ago, and she was surprised to see him at the ball. The business had sounded urgent, and even from the distance that she stood, she noticed that he seemed fatigued in the shoulders with darkness surrounding his eyes which was a sure characteristic of inadequate sleep.

It was then that he looked in her direction, and he smiled upon noticing her. Taking a couple of champagne flutes from a footman with a silver tray, he moved towards her. As he did, Cordelia noticed the slight sluggishness of his movements and the tint of redness in his eyes.

"Good evening, Miss Sutton," he greeted with his charming smile before looking at the people she stood by.

He bowed to them in greeting, which they returned, before his attention focused on her once more. "Do you wish for a refreshment? I believe the dancing will take place soon."

Cordelia glanced down at the sparkling liquid in the crystal flutes. "Thank you, but I do not need a drink as yet. Are you . . . all right?"

"Of course, I am. Why should I not be?" he replied and took a sip of his champagne.

Cordelia struggled for a response, knowing it indecent to comment inappropriately on one's appearance, but failing to find a suitable answer. Thankfully, she was saved from embarrassment by the sound of the instruments being warmed.

Lord Tilbur smiled and handed a footman his empty glass. "Shall I have the first dance with you, Miss Sutton?"

She hesitated, still uncertain of what to make of his peculiar appearance as his eyes darted over her face. But an encouraging shove from Lady Topham forced her to follow after him towards the dance floor.

Cordelia had never been thoroughly impressed with the Viscount's dancing, but his movements seemed even worse this evening than they ever had before. He blamed it on not having danced in a considerable amount of time, and that he would soon warm up to dance in a livelier fashion. But he just did not seem to have enough energy within himself to match the vigour required for such a dance.

From the corner of her eye, she noticed Alicia dancing as well, who did not seem to be faring much better with her partner, Mr Harwood. Though he moved considerably well in comparison to the Viscount, it was clear that her dislike for him was making the dance anything but enjoyable.

Instinctively, her gaze roamed the sea of dancing couples for one man in particular. But it was difficult to distinguish each face in such a crowd, especially when focus was needed on the dance.

She winced suddenly, pain blossoming on her foot that she was forced to bite her lip to keep from making any remark. The Viscount continued to follow the steps of the dance, completely unaware of the error he had caused, and Cordelia was extremely tempted to walk off the dancefloor mid-dance.