xxvii

cw: mentions of death

Hadley's excitement about helping the Order didn't last long.

Everything seemed fine when they got to Hogwarts. They met up with Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Luna, and Neville, who Harry had asked to patrol the halls while he went with Dumbledore. He thought that something bad might happen, and his suspicions proved correct when Death Eaters showed up in the castle.

McGonagall had told Hadley to do a quick sweep of the corridors to make sure that all the students were safe inside their houses. She didn't remember ever running so fast in her life; Hogwarts was a huge school. There were a few students out here and there, and she escorted them safely back to their common rooms. She did her best to remain calm so they wouldn't worry, but she could tell by the way they looked at her that they knew something bad was happening. Once she got a Ravenclaw 1st year back to Ravenclaw Tower, she rushed back to help the Order.

It all happened so fast. She saw Greyback attack Bill, and she ran forward to save him. She cried out in pain when sharp claws scratched her arm. She fell down to the floor, clutching her bleeding arm.

Everything was a blur after that, and the next thing she knew, she was sitting in the hospital wing while Madam Pomfrey patched her up and tended to Bill's wounds.

Hadley's head rested against Tonks's shoulder as they sat beside Bill's bed. Her arm was sore, and she knew that she was going to be left with some pretty deep scars.

But at least no one died.

She looked up when the doors to the hospital wing opened, and Harry came in with Ginny. Hermione ran to hug him, and Remus got up too.

"Are you alright, Harry?" Remus asked.

"I'm fine," Harry replied. "How's Bill?" He spotted the bandage wrapped tightly around Hadley's left arm. "Hadley, what happened to your arm?"

"Greyback," Hadley mumbled. She smacked her lips together. "Does anyone have any raw bacon?" she asked, and Remus chuckled a little.

Harry looked at Bill in the hospital bed. He was unrecognizable thanks to the damage Greyback did. "Can't you fix them with a charm or something?" he asked.

"No charm will work on these." Madam Pomfrey shook her head. "I've tried everything I know, but there's no cure for werewolf bites." She sighed and casted a sympathetic look towards Hadley. "Or werewolf scratches."

"But he wasn't bitten at the full moon," Ron pointed out. "Greyback hasn't transformed, so surely Bill won't be a...a real...?" He looked at Remus with uncertainty.

"No, I don't think that Bill will be a true werewolf," Remus said. "But that does not mean that there won't be some contamination. They are unlikely ever to heal fully, and Bill and Hadley might have some wolfish characteristics from now on." He then chuckled softly and motioned to the young Auror-in-training. "For example, Hadley's sudden craving for raw bacon."

"A raw steak works too." Hadley shrugged. "But bacon tastes better."

"Dumbledore might know something that'd work, though," Ron said. "Where is he? Bill and Hadley fought those maniacs on Dumbledore's orders. Dumbledore owes them. He can't leave them, especially Bill, in this state–"

"Ron," Ginny quietly spoke up. "Dumbledore's dead."

Hadley's mouth fell open in shock, tears swimming to her eyes. Tonks's hand found hers and gave it a squeeze.

"No!" Remus looked from Ginny to Harry, hoping that the 6th year boy would deny what she said. When Harry did not, he collapsed into a chair beside Bill's bed and covered his hands with his face.