xvi

Hadley felt a bit nostalgic as she walked to Platform 9 ¾ with her younger siblings. It was bittersweet this time since she wouldn't be leaving with them, and she finally understood how her mum felt every time she sent them off at the start of the new school year.

"Stay safe, guys," Hadley said as she hugged Ron and Ginny goodbye. "Don't do anything I would do, but also don't do anything that I wouldn't do. Just...stay out of trouble. You know, the kind of trouble that would put your life in danger. But also don't be 100% squeaky clean, cause it's okay to break the rules, you know? Oh! A-And–"

"Haddie, we get it." Ginny giggled.

"Don't do anything that'll get us killed, but be a little rebellious," Ron said.

"Exactly." Hadley kissed both their heads. She stepped back and stood next to Molly, watching with teary eyes as her younger siblings got onto the train with Harry and Hermione. "Please stay safe," she whispered.

─── ⋆·✧·⋆ ───

The dinner table was scarily quiet that night. Hadley didn't know what being an only child felt like until she was the only Weasley kid left in the house. She kept waiting for Fred to make a joke about how much Ron was eating, or for George to whisper something to Hadley that would make her laugh so hard that she choked on whatever was in her mouth. But none of that came.

Fred and George moved out to live in the little flat over the joke shop. They had invited Hadley to live with them, but she wouldn't have been able to stay for long with Auror training starting soon.

The world was changing, and Mad-Eye insisted that for her safety she'd be moving in permanently at 12 Grimmauld Place, where she'd be trained one-on-one with the members of the Order of the Phoenix. Although she was excited, she was also a bit nervous. She's never been on her own before. This was the first time since birth that she, George, and Fred have ever been apart. She couldn't remember a time when the three of them hadn't been attached at the hip and causing mischief wherever they went.

When she finished her dinner, she went upstairs to her room to pack. In the morning, she'd be escorted to Grimmauld Place by someone in the Order. She hoped it would be Tonks.

She knew it would be Tonks.

Hadley's never been afraid of her feelings. She knew from the moment she met the Auror that she was attracted to her. Tonks being a woman had nothing to do with it. She was funny and kind once Hadley finally cracked through her exterior wall of seriousness. She'd been there for her numerous times over the summer with everything that was going on, and she wasn't opposed to staying up until the late, late hours of the night whenever Hadley needed someone to talk to.

Sometimes...friends...understood better than family.

Hadley sighed and flopped down on her bed. She stared at the framed photo on her nightstand of her and Tonks that was taken over the summer. The purple-haired girl had whispered something to the redhead that made them both burst out laughing, and Remus had captured the moment in a moving picture.

She rolled over onto her back and stared up at the ceiling, thoughts of Tonks keeping her awake as she failed to fall asleep.

Sometimes Hadley hated her feelings.