Chapter 7

A/N: The songs referenced here are 'Glances' by Sabu and 'Captivated' by IV of Spades (in that order) because I thought it fit their (Ben and Ursa's) dynamic well! I recommend listening to them as this chapter is heavily inspired by the songs!

✧༝┉˚❋ ❋˚┉༝✧

Her hands glide over the keys of the piano, repeating the passages again and again, trying to master her pieces for the Fall Concert. They're not the type of pieces that are hard to perform (which one gets when they want to show off). Instead, Ursa chose pieces for their emotional quality, ones that resonate with her soul, ones that she likes hearing. She finds it easier to learn and practice these types of pieces as she already struggles with finding the will to do things (as she has none). By playing music she loves hearing, she finds the motivation to practice the pieces.

Entirely enamored and focused on her playing, Ursa doesn't hear the shouts and the sound of running echoing across the corridor outside the room. She does, however, hear the door opening, causing her to look and see Carlos de Vil, one of Mal's (exceedingly nicer) friends, going to hide behind a music cabinet where he has no line of sight to the door.

Although still heaving from having to run, Carlos smiles at her, holding his hand up for a wave.

"You play well, by the way. Thought so ever since I first saw you play at a Fall Concert. Your voice is beautiful, too. You must be really brave to perform in front of all those people."

Ursa blushes, once again being thankful for her dark skin to hide the evidence of a blush. She will not be seen blushing in front of one of Mal's crew, even if he's the nicest one. Regardless, she says, "Thanks."

Articulating one's gratitude is something Ursa has read in one of the books from Auradon, which washed ashore inside a sealed crate and somehow survived. Even at the risk of harassment, she tries to practice what she learns from the books, after once vowing as a child never to be willfully cruel like her mother, unless they have been cruel to her, too. Retaliation (at least through words) has been one of the things she hasn't been able to let go of, yet.

At her admission of gratefulness, Carlos smiles at her brightly, surprised and pleased at having received a 'thanks'. He says, "I like hearing you play. Will you play something for me?"

She's surprised at his request. "Like what?"

"Anything."

So she starts playing the song she performed at her first Fall Concert, singing along to its lyrics softly yet powerfully, so as to be heard by her audience of one. It's a romantic song called 'Glances'.

This goes on for a while, with Carlos closing his eyes just to revel in the music, smiling (all unbeknownst to Ursa), until a person slams the door open.

Ursa recognizes them as one of the (woefully many) bullies of Carlos. They say, "Have you seen one of Mal's underlings?"

She shakes her head. "I've been playing here for hours now, and I haven't seen anyone."

"No one has come in here?" Ursa shakes her head at that.

"If I find out you're lying, I'll-"

"You'll what?" Ursa says with a small smile, both of them fully knowing that The Lost Revenge will exact retribution upon them if they hear of someone hurting Ursa.

After a small bout of silence, the bully slams the door.

Carlos speaks up (just enough for Ursa to hear, as the bully is still outside the door), looking bewildered, "You covered for me?"