Can We Be Tight? - Part I

Writer's Note:

Hello fam, here's part I of "Can We Be Tight". This was supposed to be a VERY short one-shot and turned into something else entirely. LOL Don't expect future one-shots to be this lengthy.

S/N: Most of the couple's origin stories are the same from Do For Love: College Years except Darnell and Kia and Jordan and Simone. In this story, Jordan and Layla never were a thing... Kia and Darnell broke up their first year in college. (Darnell never moved back to LA from TX).

 Also, Liv isn't an addict in this one-shot.

As always, thanks for reading and your support! 🥰🥰🙏🏽🙏🏽

***********************************************************************************************

COLD OPEN

INT. LOS ANGELES - RESTAURANT - EVENING

Newly married, CLAY (29) and LAYLA (28) sit across from another married couple MARK and LINDA. Layla stifles a yawn.

MARK

... There I was standing on first tee. The hairs on the back of my neck were standing up, I was so nervous. I take a deep breath, line up my shot, and swing.

(eyes fill with glee)

Let, me tell you, Clay. It was quite literally the most perfect drive. Straight down the fairway!

Mark gestures his hands and mimics the swing.

CLAY

(enthusiasm levels on negative zero)

Fascinating... Simply, fascinating.

LINDA

Honey, No one wants to hear stories about your tired golf swing.

Wounded, Mark hangs his head. Layla's eyes sparkle hoping the conversation shifts to something more interesting.

LINDA

I almost forgot to show you guys Chrissy's talent show performance!

LAYLA

(enthusiasm levels match Clay's)

Oh, great another talent show.

Oblivious, Linda leans over and shows Clay and Layla a VIDEO of Chrissy singing "Greatest Love of All"... Clay cringes as the little girl struggles and fails to find the note.

CLAY

Wow... Isn't that something?

LAYLA

Well, would you look at that?

LINDA

Isn't she amazing? We've been told she's like a young Michael.

Mark rolls his eyes at his wife's delusions.

MARK

No one's said that.

CLAY

(raises brow)

Michael who?

LAYLA

As in Michael Jackson? King of Pop?

Clay snort laughs off Tina's nod.

CLAY

(mumbles)

More like Randy Jackson... LaToya.

Layla gives Clay a swift kick under the table. He grimaces.

LINDA

Do you think you could find a spot for her on your label?