Harry followed me inside, his eyes scanning the surroundings curiously. Our apartments really were almost identical in layout, but mine had a cozier, more warm touch with candles everywhere, string lights, and blankets in every corner.

"Well, I have to say this is quite lovely," Harry mused as he strolled through the space. "It certainly has a warmer ambience than mine."

I smiled, oddly flattered by his approval. "Why thank you. I can't take all the credit though. Melissa is the homemaker between the two of us."

As if on cue, Melissa emerged from the kitchen, her eyes widening when she saw Harry. "Oh hey! Funny seeing you here," she said, giving me a knowing look.

I felt my cheeks grow warm. "Harry just walked me home after I fell asleep at his place last night," I explained quickly. That probably made her assumptions worse, my eyes widened.

Melissa raised an eyebrow but didn't push for more details. "I see. Well, I made cinnamon rolls if you guys want some."

The smell was impossible to resist. Soon we were sitting at the kitchen counter, enjoying the melt-in-your-mouth pastry. Harry and Melissa chatted lightly as I observed them. It struck me how oddly natural this scene felt - Harry in my apartment, bantering with my best friend over breakfast.

"Where's Niall?" Harry questioned. "Figured he was here, since he didn't come back last night or this morning."

"Oh. He left awhile ago to the gym." Melissa explained a slight shade of scarlet tainted her cheeks. I shot Melissa a wink.

﹌﹌
A month ago, I never could've imagined feeling so at ease around him. But somehow, without me even realizing it, Harry had woven himself into the fabric of my world.

Over the next few weeks, Harry and I fell into an easy rhythm. We'd meet up regularly to work on our project, but it felt less like an obligation and more like friends hanging out over coffee. He started saving me a seat in class and walking me home after late study sessions.

Sometimes we'd end up chatting for hours about nothing and everything. He told me about his passion for football and his dreams of going pro. I confessed my own hopes of becoming a therapist and helping people.

There were still traces of our old dynamic - playful teasing and sarcastic banter. But the malice was gone, replaced by an unexpected warmth. I found myself looking forward to our time together.

Soon, it wasn't just schoolwork bringing us together. Movie nights with Niall and Melissa seamlessly included Harry and me now too. Game nights were punctuated by our competitive streaks. Harry even convinced me to attend one of his football games, which, surprisingly, was really fun. I cheered loudly from the stands when he scored a goal.

One evening we ended up at a campus cafe, just the two of us. The scent of coffee enveloped us as we chatted over steaming mugs. Harry leaned back in his chair, watching me intently as I spoke.

"You know, you never told me what made you want to become a therapist," he mused, taking a sip.

I traced my finger along the rim of my mug, gathering my thoughts. "I guess I've always found psychology fascinating. Learning what makes people tick, why we behave the ways we do."

Harry nodded. "I can see that. You've always been perceptive."

I smiled shyly at the compliment. "But also, I think a part of me is seeking understanding. Of myself, of relationships, of all the complexity that comes with being human." I didn't usually open up like this, but Harry's gaze was earnest, drawing out my honesty.

"Relationships, huh?" Harry asked casually, though his eyes betrayed a deeper curiosity.

I took a slow sip of coffee, feeling suddenly self-conscious under his intent gaze. "Yeah...I guess after everything with my ex, Riley, I have a lot to unpack there."

Harry's expression clouded at the mention of Riley. Neither of us had brought him up since our conversation at the stadium.

"Ev, can I ask...what exactly happened between you two?" His voice was uncharacteristically gentle.

I hesitated, the old wounds still tender to the touch. But this was Harry asking, and despite our rocky start, I trusted him.

"It didn't happen overnight," I began slowly. "It was little things at first. Cutting comments about my clothes or friends. It made me feel small, but I told myself it was just the stress of school and football getting to him."

Harry listened intently, his brows furrowed. I took a shaky breath and continued.

"Then it turned into accusations anytime I spoke to another guy. He'd ignore me for days as punishment, knowing how much his silence hurt. He had this way of making me believe everything was my fault."

I stared down into my coffee, the dark liquid rippling. "By the end, his temper was unpredictable. The sweet romantic guy I fell for had been completely consumed by jealousy and rage."

Saying it all out loud unleashed emotions I had bottled up for so long. My voice cracked, and I felt tears welling up unexpectedly.

Harry reached across the table and put his hand over mine, stopping its nervous movements. The warmth of his palm eased the trembling.

"I'm so sorry, Ev," he said softly. "You didn't deserve any of that."

I offered a watery smile, squeezing his hand gratefully. "It's in the past now. I got myself out, even if it took me too long to realize I deserved better."

Harry's thumb absentmindedly stroked the back of my hand as we sat in contemplative silence. I reveled in the comfort of his touch, the tangible reminder that I wasn't alone.

"You know," Harry spoke, breaking the silence, "I never properly apologized for how horribly I treated you when we first met."

I looked at him puzzled. "Harry, that was so long ago. You already apologized, and we moved past that."

He shook his head. "I know, but I never properly acknowledged how unfairly I acted. Seeing you with Riley, I assumed you were just like him. But I was wrong, so wrong."

Harry's voice was full of regret. He absentmindedly stroked his thumb over my knuckles again. The gentle rhythm soothed me.

"I let my disdain for Riley cloud my judgment of you. But the truth is, you're one of the kindest people I've ever met."

I was touched by his heartfelt words. I gave his hand a grateful squeeze. "Thank you for saying that. It means a lot coming from you."

Harry held my gaze, his emerald eyes filled with sincerity. "I should've given you a chance from the start. But I'm glad fate kept throwing us together, despite our best efforts."

He flashed a crooked grin and I laughed. "Me too. I really value our friendship, Harry."

Harry's eyes crinkled with his smile. "Likewise, Muffin. Likewise."

We left the cafe soon after, hands brushing as we walked. When we arrived at my door, I pulled Harry into an impulsive hug. His arms wrapped around me instantly, embracing me against his firm chest.

"Thank you for listening and being there for me," I murmured into his shoulder.

"Always, love. I've got you." His voice reverberated through me, soothing and secure.

We pulled back reluctantly. The air between us now crackled with an unseen energy, emotions laid bare. As I gazed up at him, the distance between us suddenly felt heavy with possibility.

But then the spell was broken by Melissa's voice from inside calling my name. Harry cleared his throat and took a step back.

"I'll see you tomorrow?" His voice was slightly hoarse now.

I nodded, already missing his closeness. "See you tomorrow."

He gave me one last lingering look before turning down the hall to his own apartment. I watched his retreating figure, my heart full and mind swirling.

﹌﹌
a/n: i love softrry

LITTLE SELF PROMO i have uploaded a book with a collection of harry styles one shots i've written!! it will be updated whenever i write one

in the spirit of promo PLS share book recommendations can either be your own or other authors you love