Chapter 16

・❥・・❥・・❥・・❥・・❥・

The morning sunlight, a golden cascade, tiptoed through the curtains, gently nudging me awake. I blinked away the remnants of sleep, disoriented in an unfamiliar room, it took a moment for my brain to register where I was.

This wasn't my bedroom. The lingering scent of cologne and masculine decor were the first clues that something was off. And then it hit me - I had fallen asleep at Harry's apartment last night.

My cheeks flushed as the memories came flooding back. I had dozed off on his shoulder, far too exhausted and comfortable to make it back to my own place. Mortification washed over me. How embarrassing! I couldn't believe I had let my guard down like that around him.

I slowly sat up, taking in my surroundings. The blanket that had been draped over me slid off onto the floor. Harry must have covered me while I was asleep. I glanced around, but there was no sign of him. The apartment was quiet except for the faint clinking of dishes from the kitchen.

As I tiptoed down the hallway towards the sounds, I found Harry standing at the stove, humming to himself as he cooked breakfast. The domestic scene was so unexpected that I had to stifle a laugh. Harry glanced over his shoulder, hearing my approach. His lips curled into a warm smile, and I marveled at the way his eyes crinkled at the corners.

"Well, well, sleeping beauty awakens," he quipped, flashing me a lopsided grin.

I rolled my eyes, trying to appear nonchalant when in reality, my heart was racing. "Very funny. Sorry for crashing here last night. I didn't mean to fall asleep."

Harry waved a hand dismissively. "No worries. I wasn't going to disturb you once you were out cold. Hope you like omelets."

He turned back to the stove, effortlessly flipping an omelet as if this was the most normal thing in the world. As if I woke up in his apartment every day. I hovered awkwardly, unsure what to do. The domesticity of it all felt strangely intimate.

"Here, have a seat. Breakfast is served," Harry gestured to the small kitchen table already set for two.

I slid into the chair gingerly. "You didn't have to go through all this trouble."

"It's no trouble. Can't have you going hungry now, can I?" He placed a piping hot omelet in front of me with a flourish and a grin.

Despite the circumstances, I couldn't help but smile back. It was a surprisingly sweet gesture. We ate our breakfast while chatting about nothing in particular, just easy conversation. The events of last night seemed to fade into the background.

Once we were done eating, Harry offered to walk me back to my apartment. As we strolled down the hallway, I snuck a glance at him. The morning sun brought out the hints of gold in his tousled hair. I quickly looked away, feeling a strange flutter in my chest.

"So..." Harry drawled, glancing at me from the corner of his eye. "Now that you've seen my humble abode, I think it's only fair I get a tour of your place."

I laughed. "What? You want a tour of my apartment?"

"Obviously. How else will I know if your decor is up to my standards?" he teased.

I rolled my eyes, but couldn't hold back a smile. "Fine, I suppose that's only fair." His playful banter made my heart skip a beat, though I'd never admit it out loud.

We continued chatting lightly as we walked to my door. As I unlocked it and pushed it open, the scent of cinnamon wafted out. Melissa must have been baking this morning.