Conscience

"Make yourself comfortable. I mean, as much as you can with your injuries," Remi said awkwardly after helping John to her bed. Following his initial reluctance, he was surprisingly cooperative, lying down on her bed on his own.

She texted Elaine to come quickly, not specifying the reason but making it clear it was urgent. She sat in her desk chair and studied John after she made sure Elaine was on her way.

He was fidgeting around, seemingly not finding a good spot. Those students did a number on him, that much was obvious.

Still, he didn't act like other people would. At least not other low tiers. The ones she helped occasionally were all shaken, timid, and shied away from her questions. John on the other hand was openly upset, angry, and didn't sugarcoat his less-than-favorable opinion of them.

He was different. Unyielding and stubborn.

It was intriguing, to be honest.

"Why are you so different?" She found herself asking, unable to push down her curiosity.

He didn't answer immediately but shifted on the bed to look at her, his eyes telling her to elaborate.

He had very expressive eyes.

"I mean the other low tiers. Why are you so different from them?"

He arched an eyebrow and for a moment she could have sworn there was a slight amusement on his face.

"So you aren't that blind after all."

"What do you mean?" She furrowed her brows.

"You realize that different social classes act differently."

She didn't know where he was going with this.

"Well, yes... What about it?"

"Did you never stop to think why is that? Or did you think every low tier is inherently born with a meek and submissive nature?"

"Uhm..." She didn't know what to say. She never thought about this in-depth just did her best to help others when she could. Still, she tried to say something at least vaguely logical under the pressure of those scrutinizing eyes. "I guess everybody is treated differently by society, which shapes the way they act."

"Then why did you think the societal structure, the hierarchy that causes this would suddenly stop existing within the school?"

"I don't know," she sighed. "I guess I wanted to believe all my brother's work wasn't in vain and changed Wellston for the better."

And maybe that Arlo as her close friend and someone who respected Rei deeply wouldn't just undo all the improvement his predecessor achieved.

John hummed. "But you never actually looked into it."

That was indeed very stupid and negligent of her.

"How bad is it?" She asked but wasn't sure if she was ready to hear the answer.

He huffed and pushed himself up on his elbows with some difficulty. "Do you really want to know or are you hoping it's just not as bad as it seems? After sticking your head into the sand for so long I won't waste my time talking to a wall. I'm not reasoning with another high tier only to be beaten when they don't like what they hear."

"I would never-" she started to say but stopped. He didn't need some empty reassurance he wouldn't believe anyway. People hurt him time after time. He looked tired. Tired of all the garbage promises and tasteless tricks.

Even so, there was a certain, almost unnoticeable sense of eagerness in his voice. He wanted to share his experience with her, he just didn't know if it was worth the trouble.