002 | Life's Not Fair

Start from the beginning

"Yes?"

"What're you doin' up there?"

"Keepin' watch with Dale."

"Right. Momma says you gotta come down."

"Why?"

"'Cause she said."

"Why isn't she tellin' me herself?" Elodie asked, her brow furrowing. She likely already knew the answer. She had done something wrong a few hours ago, and now her mother was probably ignoring her.

"Ya know why," Jamie grumbled.

Elodie frowned, straightening her back slowly. Yes, she knew exactly why.

"Bye, Dale," she muttered, knowing he'd hear her regardless.

"Watch your step," he replied kindly, and Elodie nodded as she grabbed the ladder, carefully descending the side of the RV. She approached Jamie with a questioning look on her face.

"What?" Elodie asked, gazing up at her taller brother.

"Nothin'. Momma just wanted ya to get down from the RV," Jamie replied, a hint of irritation in his tone.

"But why?" Elodie persisted. "I was havin' fun."

"I don't know, Elodie," Jamie sighed, scanning the camp for Sophia or Carl so his sister wouldn't keep bothering him. "Go ask her yourself."

"I can't," Elodie insisted. "Momma's mad at me. She won't talk to me when she's angry, ya know that."

Jamie pinched the bridge of his nose, sighing heavily. "Well, what am I supposed to do 'bout that, Elodie?"

Elodie shrugged, glancing over at Carl. He sat in front of his mother, who was cutting his hair. He didn't look all that happy, but started to grin after Shane said something, though Elodie couldn't quite make out the words.

"Go sit with the Grimes'," Jamie suggested, nudging Elodie's shoulder.

"No!"

Lori glanced up and caught Elodie staring, causing the girl's cheeks to grow warm in embarrassment. She quickly turned away, intending to retreat back to Dale's RV, but Jamie grabbed her arm, spinning her back around.

"She's callin' ya," he informed her, pushing her toward Lori.

"I don't wanna," Elodie protested, attempting to turn back and hide her flushed face.

"Ya gotta," Jamie insisted, pushing her forward once more. "Go."

Elodie muttered some inaudible words under her breath as he released her shoulders. Slowly, she approached Lori, Carl, and Shane.

"Hi," she greeted once she reached them, folding her hands in front of her.

"Hi, honey." Lori smiled, motioning for Elodie to come closer. Elodie complied, taking a few steps toward the family.

"I was just askin' Carl if he wanted to learn how to catch frogs," Shane explained to Elodie, waering a proud smile.

"Okay," Elodie responded, unsure why Lori had called her over.

"I was wonderin' if you wanted to come along," Shane continued, realizing Elodie hadn't caught on. "Take a little break from the serious stuff."

"Oh," Elodie said, her face lighting up with a smile. "Yes, I wanna come, please."

"Great. I'll come get you tomorrow morning," Shane confirmed with a nod.

Elodie nodded with a smile, glancing at Carl. She was excited to spend time with him, despite him getting her in trouble with her mom. But she wasn't mad at him. She understood Carl wanted to be brave and sneak out of the camp; he just lacked the courage to do it alone. Carl smiled back at her, his expression briefly twitching into a grimace when Lori accidentally tugged too hard on his hair while trimming it.