Chapter 28

Charlotte was crying when I left her in her room. She assured me she was alright and that she was glad that I'd confided in her, but she was very sensitive and it would take a little while for her to compose herself again.

At certain moments, I'd had my doubts about telling her so much. Even though she was older than me, in some ways, she was still very much a child. But by the time I'd finished, I was glad I'd done it. If for nothing else, the comfort of having someone to really talk to and who could, at least somewhat understand.

I really did believe she would be fine. She would be stronger and more compassionate for it too.

But at the moment, I had other things on my mind. While I was talking to Charlotte, I'd been forced to think about Alyssa, and thinking of Alyssa gave me some ideas. Those ideas had me rushing into Richard's office, passed a very flustered Martin.

"Richard?" I called, letting myself into his office despite the protests of the butler behind me.

"Cecily?" Richard looked up from his desk, concerned. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine." I hurried over to him and he stood, placing his hands on my arms.

"I have something to ask you," I said in a rush. "I know it will be asking a lot but I've tried not to ask for much and if you say yes, I'll never ask for another thing again. I promise. Just please say yes."

Richard blinked at me dumbly for a second. "You're really alright?"

"Yes, of course."

He looked relieved and then suppressed a smile.

"Cecily, may I introduce you to my personal secretary. A Mr. Hall." Richard nodded to someone behind me. "I've just hired him."

Heat flooded my face. Why had I rushed in here so recklessly? And without checking to see if Richard was alone? Of course he was in the middle of business. Wasn't he usually? How stupid of me. I hoped I hadn't just ruined my chance at a positive answer from him.

"I'm sorry," I mouthed before turning to look at the man behind me, ready to apologize.

But when I turned a grin spread across my face. "Jeremiah!"

"Ma'am," he said politely, getting to his feet and smiling.

"You're the new secretary?" I wanted to go over and hug him, but I knew that kind of affection wasn't appropriate and would probably make both of them uncomfortable.

"I am." He nodded. "Thanks to a rather enthusiastic teacher of mine who taught me to read and write."

Richard laughed and I blushed again.

"It's so nice to see you," I said. "So you'll be here a lot then?"

"Just as soon as I return from my honeymoon." His smile was the sweetest thing. I had no idea Jeremiah planned to marry.

"Congratulations!" I said. "You must bring her here sometime soon." And then feeling very much like Charlotte, I said, "the Christmas party! Oh, you have to come! Say you'll come!"

"I don't know that Leah will feel comfortable at an event like that..." He looked skeptical.

"And you think I do?" I said making both of the men laugh. "You have to come." I turned to Richard. "Make him come. Order him to be there."

They both laughed again.

"He's not under my command any longer," Richard said. "I can't order him to do anything."

"Although," he added when I frowned. "It is generally expected that a man's personal secretary attend those sorts of functions with his family."

I grinned and Jeremiah groaned.