Chapter 7

Peeking out of the tent, I wasn't surprised to find Jeremiah sitting on the chair just out front. He was almost always there now. If there was ever a time that I didn't see him right away, he usually appeared within minutes.

I still hadn't figured out if Richard had meant to protect me from others or to guard me from running away, but I found that I didn't mind either way. Jeremiah was friendly and a comforting presence.

Rather than spotting me right away as he usually did, he was flipping through the pages of a book, captivated.

"Anything good?" I asked, walking the few feet over to where he sat.

Looking startled, he jumped up, hastily slapping the book shut and grabbing two others from the ground to present to me.

Apparently, Richard had been able to follow through on his promise. I wasn't sure where or how he was able to obtain things for me, but it had been three days since I asked him about the books. He sent a small book of poetry that same day and I must have read through it a hundred times already. So I was quite interested in whatever treasures Jeremiah had for me now.

"I, uh, wouldn't know," Jeremiah said nervously as I took the small stack from his hands. "I was just looking."

"That's alright," I said, confused by his obvious guilt. "I don't mind."

He still seemed as though he was caught doing something wrong, and I was reminded of what Richard told me about the separate classes having different rules of education.

"You can't read?" I guessed.

How strange that such a question was the thing that made him look relieved.

"No, I can't," he said. "I actually haven't seen many books before. I was trying to understand what people see in them, but it doesn't make much sense to me."

I thought that was terribly sad, but of course I didn't say so.

"I have to admit, I was surprised to learn that these were for you," Jeremiah said. After Richard's reaction, I thought "surprised" was probably a mild way to put it.

"I guess things are pretty different where you're from." The longing was plain on his face.

"It is..." I said before I realized that things might have changed completely in my village by now. "Or, it was," I said sadly, blinking back the sudden moisture from my eyes.

Jeremiah looked uncomfortable and obviously understood my thoughts. I was about to retreat back inside the tent, but hesitated.

"I could teach you, if you like," I offered.

"Teach me?"

"To read." I nodded at the books.

His eyes widened slightly. "No." Despite the fact that a desire to learn was plain in his eyes, he sounded resolute. "Thank you."

"I don't mind," I said, wondering at his swift refusal. I really didn't mind the prospect. Actually, it would be nice to have something to do, and I'd like to repay him for some of his kindness to me.

He sighed, sounding tired. "I appreciate the offer. Truly. But it's not allowed. You might not mind, but someone else will."

I frowned. What a strange and awful place the north was. Why should anyone else care if Jeremiah could read or not?

"I have a surprise for you," he said, distracting me from dwelling on those thoughts too long.

"What is it?" I couldn't help but be excited. I had everything I needed and then some. The three books in my hands were more than I was expecting so soon.

Jeremiah held up one finger and then disappeared around the corner of the tent for a minute. When he reappeared, he carried a large metal basin.

I looked at him curiously. Was it to store things in?

"The general thought you might like a proper bath," he said by way of explanation.

Oh! What a wonderful surprise! In such a primitive place, I just assumed that I would have to make due with the small wash bowl that I'd been using. Unfortunately, I'd started to become accustomed to the constant grime that never seemed to wipe off no matter how much I scrubbed. I didn't even think to hope for a real bath while living out of a tent.

Richard was so thoughtful. I wanted to jump in this very instant. Jeremiah chuckled at my surprised and no-doubt greedy expression.

"I've got some water almost ready," he said. "I'll set this inside, if it's alright."

"Of course!" I said, going to hold the flap of the tent open for him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Knowing that Richard was usually starving by the time he came back to the tent at the end of the day, I usually let him get settled and half-way through his meal before I started any sort of conversation. But today, I just couldn't hold my gratitude in that long. I was fresh and clean and it felt utterly wonderful.

"Thank you for sending the books and the washbasin," I said as soon as he sat down.

Seeming genuinely pleased that he'd made me happy, he smiled. "I'm glad you liked them. I should have thought of the bath sooner, but I'm not used to thinking about a woman's needs. The men just jump in the river when they get the chance."

"I didn't think it was possible," I admitted.

"It's harder to come by things here," he said after starting in on his food. "But I can get a hold of most of the basic things."

I wondered again where exactly everything came from, but before I could voice the question, Richard distracted me.

"How do you like the books?" he asked.

"They're wonderful," I said honestly. "I read through two of them already."

Richard listened patiently as I launched into the descriptions of the stories, critiquing them to my heart's content. It only occurred to me later, as I was getting ready for bed, that I'd managed to monopolize the conversation for the first time since I arrived in this place.