Chapter 1

The first day of sophomore year. I honestly couldn't believe it. I still remember my very first day at Windsor Classical Schools when it was my first day of 7th grade. Now, it was my sophomore year. I looked at myself in the mirror, admiring my dark curls which had gotten a lot longer recently and were already at shoulder length. Now that my hair had grown out, I looked really pretty.

I didn't know if I was going to be able to have my sophomore year at Windsor. My family was planning on moving to Saudi Arabia to be missionaries and I would've left everything and everyone I ever knew. Fortunately, my baby brother Zak's adoption hadn't been formalized in time, and the trip was called off and we were able to stay in Colorado. That was a sigh of relief for me and all of my friends.

And now here I was, getting ready for my first day of 10th grade. I begrudgingly put on my uniform, which included an above the knee length plaid skirt and a white button down. It was a lot less comfortable than the shorts and t-shirts I had been wearing all summer, but at least the dress code had become less strict compared to last year. Last year, the skirts had to be at the knee or lower, but this year they allowed girls to wear their skirts appropriately above the knee.

"Lili!" My mom called my nickname from upstairs. "Hurry up, we're about to leave!"

"Coming mom!" I shouted back.

I slung my new backpack over one shoulder and rushed up the stairs, as my bedroom was in the basement. I slipped on my white Air Forces and hopped into the car.

"Bye mom, love you," I said as I climbed out of the car once we had gotten to the school.

"Love you too, have a good first day!" She replied.

My younger brothers went the opposite direction with the exception of Dillan, who was a new member of the upper school as he had just entered 7th grade. I glanced at my schedule to see what my homeroom was.

Aaliyah Stone
10th grade schedule
Your 4th period class is your homeroom
Chemistry I - Room 143
Latin II - Room 154
Western Civilization II - Room 136
Algebra II - Room 145
British Literature - Room 152
Advanced Art - Room 131
Physical Education - Room 124

"Looks like my homeroom is math," I groaned to myself, until I saw the teacher. Mrs. Tristan had stopped teaching math the year before due to her having a new baby daughter, but she was back this year! Mrs. Tristan was by far everyone's favorite math teacher.

I walked into Room 145 and found my locker with my name on it. For some reason, our lockers are in our homerooms. Don't ask me why, Windsor does things a little differently. I saw that the two lockers next to me were one for my best friend, Evangeline (Eva for short), and the one on the other side of mine was a new kid, Walker Scobell. I could've sworn I'd heard that name before, but I ignored it.

At that very moment, Eva walked in. She combed her hands through her beautiful brown hair and her blue eyes caught my brown ones and a smile lit up her face.

She hung up her bag and joked, "Long time, no see." We saw each other yesterday at the end-of-summer pool party.

"Very funny," I remarked sarcastically as I gathered my supplies for the day.

"Who's that Walker kid?" She asked, looking at the name on the locker next to mine.

"I don't know," I answered with a shrug.

Our question was answered when a very attractive boy with blue eyes and curly blond hair walked into the room. He scanned the lockers for his name until he saw his next to mine. I quickly stopped staring so I didn't seem like a creep, but gosh, was he hot.

I was desperately trying to avoid his gaze until I felt a tap on my shoulder as I was picking up my things about to leave. I whipped my head around and made eye contact with the cute Walker boy.