Chapter 10

After the test, the rest of my classes go by like any regular day because I manage to stuff the whole "this is the last time" thought to the back of my mind. When ag comes and my previous idea from earlier in the year about a group picture comes up, that's when it hits me hard. As our group we've spent this year with (me, Kate, Weston, Darien, Dean, a boy who has been our friend since he was in our grade last year, a red-headed girl named Kaitlyn, Suzanne, a dark-headed girl I've known since kindergarten and a girl with huge, curly hair we call Skeeter(Robin's not here)) lines up in the shop, the place we've hung out at the whole year, I get sentimental, but I don't show it. After Emily (the girl from cheer who is also in ag class with me but doesn't really hang out with us here) snaps a normal picture, Kate yells "FUNNY PICTURE" as she drops to the ground, throwing up some symbol with her hands and showing her best "duck face". The chain hanging from the ceiling that we normally swing on is hung a bit higher than usual, and I can't jump up in it like I just decided I wanted to.
"Weston! Help me?" I ask.
He makes his way toward me and grabs my hips.
"Ready?" He asks and starts counting down. At his last count, I jump and he lifts, and my foot lands on the curve of the bottom of the chain, giving me enough time to get a grip and pull myself onto it.
"Thanks!" I call to Weston, as he strikes his funny pose.
About the time Emily snaps the picture, Darien runs through, hunched over, right in front of me for his pose.
We thank Emily and retrieve our phones. In the funny picture, it looks just like I'm standing on Darien's hunched back. It's so hilarious, I giggle as soon as I see it. Our pictures are very accurate for describing our time in this class.
~
When I get home, Kate has me ask my mother if she can spend the night. She declines, as usual, but when I hear the reasoning, I'm not phased by it. We are going to a Christmas party at my aunts house. So Kate and I say our goodbyes, and we are on our way to Mayetta, which is half an hour or so away from where we live.
~
My 4 year old cousin, Lydia is ecstatic to see me. I hardly even have time to lose myself in the party foods and hot chocolate before she is giving me a "princess makeover" in her room.
"You have a date with a prince!" She exclaims. "Well, actually I have a date with a prince. But he's a bad prince. You have a date though." She says with all seriousness.
She then prepares herself for my makeover. She yanks my two braids out and tries to brush my curls out, giving me more of an Afro look. She then lays my head in her fake beauty shop to "wash my hair". Now, that part I don't mind. She then "applies my makeup" and sprays body spray in my hair to substitute for hairspray. When she marvels at her work, I decide it is my turn to makeover her before any more damage can be done, and so I can rejoin the party faster.
~
After a long, last day of school and night of coffee and the movie with Kate, Christmas movies, party foods, and princess makeovers, I am exhausted. My head is pounding, but I am not going to sleep. It's my first night to have no consequences for staying up, so why would I sleep?! But ohh, my head! I pinch the bridge of my nose and head to my room to lay down on my bed. I flop down on it. That feels better. I pick up my phone for some company and the light glowing off of it causes my head to start back aching. I sit up in distress and close my eyes tight, pinching my nose again. When I open them, I spot my solution. I leap over my footboard and jerk the blue pill from inside the compact.
I head back downstairs to retrieve my water bottle from a shelf in the fridge and give the pill one last look before popping it. It really was pretty. I rub my head and braid my hair back into the two braids it was in and join Ella on the couch. We watch a movie together for a few minutes before I get a real bizarre feeling. I stand up, alarmed and walk behind the couch, stumbling.. I know I'm stumbling. I catch a glimpse of my sister in my vision, which is growing hazy, and she is paying no attention to me. She is glued to the t.v. show. Good I think. I stumble to the kitchen and collide with the other couch on my way there. I rise up off the couch and clutch the armrest, making my way to the kitchen. I yank the refrigerator open with too much force and spill drips of my water down my face while guzzling it. I then hurry back to the couch before I can run into anything else or fall, and right when I reach the couch, I fall over on it and...